Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with my 7th piston in my 1998 Tahoe. I was thinking yesterday on ways to fix the problem because i already get horrible gas mileage and the fact that the fuel injector is still pushing gas into the piston which isn't firing properly can't help the problem i was wondering is it possible to remove that fuel line and put a straight peice of metal in it's place and rtv the piston shut? I thought this because if i replaced the line to the fuel injector i should just be able to bypass the 7th piston completly and save me a little gas. Will this work???

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
So I guess you're not really talking about the piston itself, but the #7 cylinder is not firing? I would be trying to figure out why it isn't firing in the first place, instead of trying to figure out a way to disable it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am having trouble with my 7th piston in my 1998 Tahoe. I was thinking yesterday on ways to fix the problem because i already get horrible gas mileage and the fact that the fuel injector is still pushing gas into the piston which isn't firing properly can't help the problem i was wondering is it possible to remove that fuel line and put a straight peice of metal in it's place and rtv the piston shut? I thought this because if i replaced the line to the fuel injector i should just be able to bypass the 7th piston completly and save me a little gas. Will this work???
So #7 cyl is a dead hole??Who diagnosed this?If you have ample cyl pressure and injected fuel..you only require a spark to light off the charge.Based on your post,you have minimal knowledge of how a sequential port fuel v8 operates.That vin R engine uses poppet valves that connect to the injector with a flexable line inside the upper intake plenum.I have no clue how you come up with installing a steel line and rtving a piston shut.Do yourself a favor..spend $90 and have your local chevy store diagnose the misfire before you clog up those expensive to replace cat converters.

·
Super Moderator
13,311 Posts
YOu are probably getting horrible mileage because the one injector is sticking open. Find a good shop to fix it for you pronto, before it ruins the engine, then you will really be in for an expense :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.