Team Chevelle banner

piston install orientation

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BillK 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Finally starting to put everything together now. I have some simple orientation questions so I don't install things wrong.

I read in other posts that the connecting rod tangs face the outside of the block and the big end chamfer faces the side of the crank journal, not the other rod that shares the journal. Good

But how about the pistons? The picture below is the piston I will be using. (SRP inverted dome part #138103 for a 383)
In the picture below does the 'A side' face the outside of the block and the 'B side' face the lifter valley?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Finally starting to put everything together now. I have some simple orientation questions so I don't install things wrong.

I read in other posts that the connecting rod tangs face the outside of the block and the big end chamfer faces the side of the crank journal, not the other rod that shares the journal. Good

But how about the pistons? The picture below is the piston I will be using. (SRP inverted dome part #138103 for a 383)
In the picture below does the 'A side' face the outside of the block and the 'B side' face the lifter valley?

Thanks!

===========

B faces the intake (valley) :eek: :eek:
THIS IS WRONG

===========
EDIT
Sorry, I made a mistake, doin' to much at once here & not paying attention to the wording, I read it & knew the letters were backwards & answered it incorretly ,,,, :sad:

The A side goes to the valley not the B side, don't know how I did that :clonk:

Hate it when I make a mistake like that :D

Thanks to all who caught it.

#3 · (Edited)
Heads up - Caution

B faces the intake (valley)

Mike (Wolfplace) [End Quote]

Hi plc guru, personally I would put the "B" side to the exhaust here, towards the outer side of the block. The valve notches go towards the intake, the lifter side. That's the way it's done. Unless I'm missing something here?

(Add) The chamfer and bearing tang location's you have correct, tang's to the pan rails, large chamfer's to the sides of the throws, away from each other.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Not sure what Mike was thinking here. I know he knows which way they go!

#4 ·
I would put the B side to the outside of the block too. Also I don't know about the inverted dome pistons but just check that there isn't a left and right piston. Meaning that the valve reliefs are different sizes for intake and exhaust. This is because the valves alternate on the small block. Exhaust intake, then intake exhaust. Does this make sense, maybe someone else can word it better.

#5 ·
well, the best way when not sure, set the head on end and hold the piston up to it as if it were in the engine, then you can imagine how the relationship to valves/piston will take place-as noted, make sure the rods radiused side is against the crank-also note, some rod bearing halfs are marked upper/lower, depending on what you are working with

#6 ·
Ok, 'A side' to the intake valley and 'B side' to the exhaust. Thanks!
(valve reliefs are the same size on the piston)

The rod bearings are Clevite 77H and are marked upper/lower. Another newbie question then... I assume 'lower' means the rod cap end, correct?

Thanks guys!
Phil

#7 ·
Phil.
That is correct, upper is in the rod, lower the cap. Make sure and use some real good lubricant on the pin, especially if the engine is going to sit for a while. I use GM's EOS. Another thing, dont know if you actually had it checked, but I have been finding more and more aftermarket rods lately that really do not have enough pin clearance. With everything clean and dry, or with just a touch of WD40, the pin should pretty much fall through the piston and pin. If not, it needs to be checked and pin fit if needed. I have had to hone a little out of almost every set of Eagle rods I have seen lately. Same with a couple of Scat's.

Hope this helps,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.