Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a TDC stop to help me find TDC, but I was able to rotate the assembly completely around and it never hit the stop. I had it all the way in, as far as it could go. Any suggestions on how else I can find Absolute TDC? Or should I just do it the old fashioned way and shove my thumb in #1 and bump it over till it pops out, stab the distributor and make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 and let it rip? My concerns are that I want to be able to apply the timing tape and have it correct for tuning issues. I plan to put a NOS Plate system on the motor and need to know the exact timing.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Are you trying to find TDC just to install dist.? If so, remove valve cover, rotate motor untill #1 intake opens and starts to close. Now rotate until timing mark is on 0*.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Not just so much to stab the dist. more so I can know precisely where TDC is so I can put my timing tape on correctly.
Your balancer should be have a line on it, use that as a guide for your tape. Line up the 0 degree line on your tape with the one on the balancer. Now you still have to make sure your at top dead center before you stab that distributor. Do you have a timing tab installed?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have an adjustable billet timing tab on it. Correct me if I am wrong, but the line on the balancer doesn't always indicate absolute TDC correct? Thats why I was trying to physically find the TDC. I am wanting to spray a little bit of NOS on the motor and want to be able to time this thing correctly.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Your correct, you need to find TDC and adjust the pointer so it will line up with the line on your balancer. But I don't know how you are going to find TDC if the piston is not hitting the piston stop. You may want to try a different piston stop before doing something drastic like pulling the cyl. head.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
this might sound silly- but have you tried finding TDC on the #6 cylinder? it comes up at the same time as #1, but is 360 degrees off. if the stop will hit that piston, then you can set up your timing tape just the same as you would for #1.
i just hope your timing tape lasts longer than mine did- i think it ran for 5 minutes before it shredded itself and fell off. i did everything right, and it just didn't last. but my tdc mark was right on the balancer, so i just got a dial back timing light..

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I put in a TDC stop to help me find TDC, but I was able to rotate the assembly completely around and it never hit the stop. I had it all the way in, as far as it could go. Any suggestions on how else I can find Absolute TDC? Or should I just do it the old fashioned way and shove my thumb in #1 and bump it over till it pops out, stab the distributor and make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 and let it rip? My concerns are that I want to be able to apply the timing tape and have it correct for tuning issues. I plan to put a NOS Plate system on the motor and need to know the exact timing.
pistons must have quite a dish to them..
they cast????????
if so n o s not a good idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts