Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 72 Malibu, there are 3 plugs on the neutral safety switch. (column mount type) The first plug is for the starter, 2 purple wires, the next plug has a pink and green wire and is for the back up lights. The third plug has me scratching my head. It has 2 pink wires.

Anyone know what these do? This car has the seat belt warning light so im thinking possibly something to do with that? :confused:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yep, seat belt warning. Part of the loop that also ties to the belt switches and the pressure switches in the seat. 72s have some strange parts.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah it's for the seat warning, I remember I went through that a while back and was unable to figure it out exactly. I think it was to disable the seat warning when in the acc position???? Not sure???

I have a four speed and there is no schematic for seat warning SS four speed.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I thought it may have something to do with that.

I had the switch apart to grease it up and it looks like when the car goes into drive, it connects these two wires. I guess that would set off the light or buzzer if the seat belts weren't on.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
They close in drive. The problem with the system is the pressure strips under the bench seat. There are 2, one for the driver and one for the passenger. They look like long strips of metal with a wire attached to each one. If you set anything on the front seat and hit a bump while driving, it sets off the warning system. Tried to couple the passenger belt together but it slips down and sets things off. Unplugged the wires from the seat belt switches in 71 and never hooked them up again. Problem solved.

·
Registered
996 Posts
John,

You don't know the seat warning configuration for a 4 speed SS do you??? My harness had the Pink/Pink but there was no place to connect it. That's the only thing I could never figure out! the wiper switches are different.

If anyone has a picture of a 72 only wiper switch for MANUAL ONLY I would really aprreciate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts