Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to hold the pinion in place/against when you are crushing the sleeve down on a GM rearend? Is there a special tool to use, or do whatever works like a BIG wrench on the yoke? I just want to be sure I get the bearing resistance set up right before I get my carrier in place.

Either way, that's alot of force on has to use to get that sucker crushed ;)

· Lifetime Founding Member
11,978 Posts
I made a pinion holder from a steel fence T post about 5 ft long. Drilled two holes for U joint bolts and ground out clearance for the pinion nut. When removing the pinion nut, I install the bar so the end rests on the floor to the passenger side of the car. When tightening I rest the bar to the driver side. Works great.

· Registered
5,800 Posts
there is a special tool, some rear end venders sell them, i think randys has them, its a pretty sturdy deal with slots for diff bolt patterns, and your wrench goes thru the middle-like von, i made my own, used pipe as ext. for more power

· Registered
10,303 Posts
I also made my own from 1/4in steel plate with for holes for the U-joint bolts and one big hole in the center for a socket to fit onto the pinion nut. But, before I made my own tool, I used to use a BIIIIIIIIIIIIG pipe wrench. For a one time situation, the big pipe wrench would be quite satisfactory.

· Registered
6,573 Posts
I have designed one that I use and I intend to sell it. I don't know enough about pattents and how to market a tool, so I haven't tried to produce it. I have the one that I made for myself and one extra. Any of the suggestions mentioned above will work fine. I used a large pipe wrench for a long time.

· Premium Member
1,826 Posts
big gear head said:
I have designed one that I use and I intend to sell it. I don't know enough about pattents and how to market a tool, so I haven't tried to produce it. I have the one that I made for myself and one extra. Any of the suggestions mentioned above will work fine. I used a large pipe wrench for a long time.
I have a patent and it cost me about 10k. This is the going price on an average. Everyone wants a piece of your product even before you get it to the public.

Regards, Jody

· Registered
70 Chevelle, 489 BB, Jerico DR4
1,505 Posts
Harbor freight is a good place for a cheap pipe wrench, that's what I use.

BGH, you can easily get a provisional patent for about 150.00 that will protect you for about a year along with a nondisclosure agreement. Then you market your tool to a manufacture and let them eat the costs for a full patent in your name, Info about this will be on the US patent home page.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all of you for the help, I do have a 18" pipe wrench I can use :cool:

Also bought a bearing separator yesterday to get that pinion bearing off the old pinion as well. Gears came in from Summit, I'm ready......again.

· Premium Member
3,976 Posts
<-- Big Pipe Wrench user here.

I'm a weakling, so I needed a 2nd pair of hands for the final torque values. It took two hands just to make the pipe wrench to stay on the yoke. The yokes have a bit of "natural rounding". The pipe wrench was older than me. :D

Be cautious of a pre-mature torque value because the assembly get's caught on something. After I had mine set, and all was done, everything appeared fine. Well, after some moving/jarring, the pinon could be wiggled by hand!!! Not much, be enough to say, WTF happened?!? I got a good 2 full turn on the pinion nut after that. :confused:

So, as you are tightening, give the yoke/pinon a few taps with a hammer to keep it from getting hung up.

· Registered
10,303 Posts
Mike,
When I'm doing a rear, I frequently turn the pinion, tighten, turn, tighten, turn, tighten, until I am right down to the final of tweaking of the pinion nut. Just because of the very reason you described!

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whew, got it :)

I used a press to start the sleeve, impact to tighten close enough, then a pipe wrench and a large breaker bar to get me final bearing crush :cool:

With the new gears, proper pinion depth, and .0010 backlash I now have a quiet rear end.....well not according to the wife I don't :D

Pipe wrench worked pretty well but the angle iron bolted to the yoke would be a better setup. Thepipe wrench leaves marks, but other than that worked golden.

Thanks all of you, great advise :)

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I better not let her see this thread.....:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts