Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not what you'd call any kind of engine guy, but I have pulled out and reworked a few motors. Everything so far had a bronze pilot bushing for the transmission input shaft. Just yanked out the 402 in my Chevelle and it had a bearing assembly in there. What gives? Is this stock? And can i load it up with grease and knock a dowl inside the bearing assembly to pop it out? Should I replace it with a typical bushing?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
GM quit using the bushing on the assembly line several years ago and went with the bearing. Their Performance Parts catalog recommends using the bearing instead of the bushing. Some people feel that the bearing is more likely to fail than the bushing. Most clutch & pressure plate kits come with both, so you can use whichever one you like. I personally have used both without trouble.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Mine has a bearing as well, just take a good look at it..If it looks / feels OK re use it, they can be a PITA to replace if you don't have a puller....The grease trick didn't work for me, I ended up cutting it out, NOT a fun night....

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
How is the roller bearing installed in the crank? Obviously you can't just pound it in there...or can you?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I replaced the bushing with the GM bearing about 4 years ago,greased it real good with synthetic grease,havent had a problem.I'll be checking it over when I pull the motor this year.You dont have to worry about it falling out,its pressed in pretty tight.
Guy

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
How is the roller bearing installed in the crank? Obviously you can't just pound it in there...or can you?
I drove mine in (bearing type) with an old tranny input shaft and a hammer. Looked fine when I pulled the tranny 10 years and 50K miles later.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Also, please note, one side of the bushing or bearing is flat, and one tapered. The tapered side faces out. That's why an old input shaft makes a good installation tool...it has the same taper.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
I use a socket that matches the the diameter of the outer race to drive them in. Not a good idea to pound on the inner race of the bearing.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
not good to pound on the outer race of a shaft mounted bearing either.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
i heard that the bearing can gouge or wear the input shaft of a Muncie & they should NOT be used with one. I am putting a new bronze bushing in mine when I install my CF D/F.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
i heard that the bearing can gouge or wear the input shaft of a Muncie & they should NOT be used with one. I am putting a new bronze bushing in mine when I install my CF D/F.
Not disputing that, but bear in mind that unless the clutch pedal is depressed, the bearing/bushing and the input shaft are turning at the exact same speed.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
GM has been using bearings for quite a while, so have the Japanese guys. Use whatever one you like.
I throw the bearing / bushing in the freezer the night before, makes installation a breeze.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts