Team Chevelle banner

pilot bearing bushing for manual trans

450 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GuysMonteSS
i am installing a lakewood blow proof bell housing in car i wondering should i use a longer bushing with the lakewood bell housing with a plate? if so anyone make longer bushings for that set up? thanks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
25,103 Posts
No, the bushing remains the same. Its your clutch geometery the motor plate may effect. May need an adjustible throw out bearing and/or pivot ball to get the clutch geometry right.

There was a "sticky" written up by username MAX DUTCH HEADWORK, aka Al that describes the correct geometry very very well. See if you can find it and stick it in your head. Very helpful.

PS if you are using a solid bushing, BE SURE its not magnetic. PIONEER makes the real deal one.

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the bushing remains the same. Its your clutch geometery the motor plate may effect. May need an adjustible throw out bearing and/or pivot ball to get the clutch geometry right.

There was a "sticky" written up by username MAX DUTCH HEADWORK, aka Al that describes the correct geometry very very well. See if you can find it and stick it in your head. Very helpful.

PS if you are using a solid bushing, BE SURE its not magnetic. PIONEER makes the real deal one.
thank you.

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
8,394 Posts
When I put my TKX in last year Jody warned me NOT to re-use the regular Pilot bushing I had previously installed and instead switch to a slightly deeper one he provided to account for the thickness of the block plate & shield vs a stock bell.

I'm running one of the QuickTime Scattershield/bells, which is part of his well refined "recipe" (along with an adjustable t/o bearing to his spec) so maybe that doesn't apply to other bells...

He also advised to knock the bell locating pins outward a bit as they were defintely not long enough to go through both the block plate and the shield, which allowed the bell to not be 100% positively located as it rested on the taper. knocking the original pins outward1/8" was enough to get it to sit on the flat and not on the taper.

Just relating what I was told and am running.
-Ben

· Premium Member
15,447 Posts
You need to actually measure how much of your input shaft will engage the pilot bushing. You may need a longer pilot bushing. When I added a Quick Time and a scatter shield I had to add a longer Pilot bushing. Coming from Jody, the input shaft should engage the Pilot bushing a minimum of the diameter of the tip of the input shaft.

· Registered
581 Posts
who sells longer pilot bushings?
QUARTER MASTER. As mentioned above check your measurements. Example if you do use a block plate that will move the transmission away from the crank by the thickness of the block plate. If you also happen to be using an Autogear 4 speed case with a STOCK gearset you need to use an extended bushing.

· Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Reactions: Jerry Briggs

· Registered
2,876 Posts
You can buy longer bushings from Summit.
Available in bushing or bearing style.
Theres nothing wrong with the bearing bushing IF the bell is properly aligned.
Guy
But what if the rear of the bell housing is not straight, the trans case mounts to the bell housing and the input shaft bearing are all off just enough to create an angle. There are 7 different mounting surfaces on the older 4 speeds that can lead to different failures.
How will you lube a needle bearing pilot bearing ? If you do not, it will eventually fail. Clutch dust etc.
Rick

· Premium Member
2,877 Posts
But what if the rear of the bell housing is not straight, the trans case mounts to the bell housing and the input shaft bearing are all off just enough to create an angle. There are 7 different mounting surfaces on the older 4 speeds that can lead to different failures.
How will you lube a needle bearing pilot bearing ? If you do not, it will eventually fail. Clutch dust etc.
Rick
Well,that certainly is a lot of “if’s“,LOL
And what if the earth fell out of the sky,that could lead to further alignment issues as well.
But,the bearing type are lubed very similar to a throw out bearing.
You pack them with a packer or by hand.
I do know from my own experience that the bearing type of pilot bearing can live if alignment is close enough.
Although ,after reading so many horror stories about them,the last time I had the trans out I did switch to the bushing style.
Guy

· Registered
12,621 Posts
One time I used the new bushing that has needle bearings. It fell apart.
Rick
My experience as well. But that was just bolting everything together, Maybe there was some serious misalignment that wasn't checked for. A regular bronze bushing worked fine after that.

· Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I'll add my two cents worth here. Installed a GM needle pilot bearing in the 454 (461 actually) I built and installed in my 1965 El Camino in 1999. Original transmission was a 1965 M20, then a 1970 M22, a Richmond Road Race 5-speed and finally a Richmond ROD 6-speed (-JB gear ratios) and never had a problem with it even with those transmission changes along the way over a fourteen year period. Maybe I was lucky, I don't know but I do have an oilite bronze bushing in my current 565 w/G-Force T56. Enough said! GM used them for many years also fwiw but I'm not aware of any failure trends they experienced.

· Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Yes.
Guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts