Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know of a source, or has anyone found original pictures or film footage of any year of Chevelle coming down the assembly line or parked outside of the assembly plant in rows?

I started to think about this when I saw the 60 MINUTES II program about the dangers of early Ford Mustang gas tanks. They had archived footage from FOMOCO of the pony cars coming down the lines and being assembled by the workers.

I don't think I've ever seen any program that shows Chevys being built.

It would be quite interesting if these kind of archives were found, don't you agree?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know this is kinda off the topic, but I saw that episode too, the one about how dangerous old Stangs are. What a load of crap! Does that mean when I punch my SS at a stoplight in the rain, spin out, crash head on into a phone pole and bang my head on the steering wheel, my parents can sue chevy for:
1) No traction control
2) No ABS
3) No Airbag
4) No Printed warning saying not to drive like a moron in the rain

Hell NO! When these cars were built, things were different. If you wanna be safe, go get a saturn. If you wanna have fun, buy a classic musclecar, but don't complain if you get hurt. All of these cars met whatever lax federal safety regulations that were in effect when they were manufactured, so they are protected under the grandfather clause. Which is why my dad's Model A Ford only needs one taillight, no signals and no seatbelts. There are too many morons out there trying to destroy this hobby and I take it personally when I see it happening.

OK, enough ranting and raving, time for class....

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry Coppertop,

I too am off your topic like Havoc. But had to reply to his line of thinking. EXACTLY!!

Suppose you restore a model A or T and drive it on a public street to get to a parade... these things had mechanical brakes NOT hydraulic for pete's sake.

And things like turn signals were not standard equipment until the 50's (my great Uncle's '49 Chevy pickup had an aftermarket turn signal system installed in it.

Heck even seat belts were NOT standard in '55-57 Chevys!!! They were an option until the early '60s.

You have to weight the risk of driving OLD technology. AND likewise... assume SOME of the responsiblilty for any harm to yourself (or others) if/when there's an wreck.

Thanks.
Len

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen any Chevelle footage. If anyone lives near a UAW local that represents a GM plant that used to build Chevelles, that may be a good place to start looking.
As for driving older cars, I compare it to flying in old airplanes. You're a lot safer in a modern airliner, but but a lot of commercial pilots own and fly a lot of pre WWII aircraft such as Piper J-3 Cubs for the same reason we like older cars.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
sorry i missed the program about the mustangs what is the point of the original question? are you looking for a picture or footage because of precived problems with the chevells or do you just want a picture showing a bunch of them? i think the latter would be kinda cool too. john

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, even though some were off topic...

Anyway check out Mr. 409's links, that is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'd love to see film footage or a clear picture of "the line" with a bunch of chevelles rolling thru (particularly 1970 model year
)

I just want to have a vintage "group picture" I not interested in problems with the vehicles, I only sited the FORD situation because that featured rare film footage of the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I have an interesting article in a Petersen's Van & Pickup book from '72. It shows a '71 El Camino going down the Van Nuys California assembly line. There are several pictures of it at different phases. At my parent's house there is an encyclopedia that shows several '66 full-size Chevies being assembled. All I need is a scanner. Hmmm...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Coppertop,
There is an assembly line picture of the 1970 Chevelle/Monte Carlo in Alan Colvins Chevrolet by the numbers 1970-75.Perhaps he has more?I know Chuck Hanson and him are good friends.Maybe you could find out more from one of those two experts??

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Besides being into Chevelles, im into model railroading. A company that makes HO scale model railroading products recently came out with a series of auto industry models for layouts. You subscribe, and every month you get model kits and excessories. The first month was a hard cover book. I cant remember what its called off hand but I will post its title tommorrow. Anyway being a Chevelle fan I paged through the book in the story and found one picture for a bunch of 65s loaded on an "Auto Rack" (a special type of open freight car used in shipping autos) ready to be shipped. The car has a few SS's on it but no Z16s. Its an excellent book for people intrested in the industry. A major manufactures are there (including all GM divisions). Some assembly line pictures and even some turn-of-the-century photos are also in it.

Thought you would like to know, and sorry for rambling. Chris R.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know about you guys, I would REALLY like to see several 68 chevelles coming off the line. Especially the different assembly lines there were in 68. one for the malibu and SS, etc. I also wouod like to see a 1941 chevy too. IF ANYONE has found a link or ANYTHING like this.........PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

THANKS GUYS!

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
JT, The company is called Walthers. Thier located in Milwaukee Wis. If you live near a hobby shop that sells a of model railroading products they should have thier catalog. The nice thing is that the catalog not only has thier products but also darn near every manufacture of HO products (Athearn, MDC, Life like, Bachman, Etc,), and every thing is listed by product (Locos, structures, scenery products, etc). Thier giant catalog is an annual thing and the 2000 edition is out now. Its not quite as big as a phone book but is huge. Probably has a thousand or close pages now. As for the muscle cars, there are a lot of choices and the catalog has everything available. I thin that the only Chevelle available is the 70ss. And thew do mail order also.
The book by the way is also in there. Sorry but I forgot to look at what its called.

Chris R.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.