Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 years ago I had a 427 built for my Beaumont. The engine ran great but in the last couple years I was getting a good bit of oil in a couple cylinders. A good friend owns a repair shop. He works on a lot of classic cars. He is the only one that I trust to work on my car. I took the car to him to fix a few small problems and to check to see what the problem with the engine was. We thought it may just need valve stem seals. He did a compression check and 3 cylinders were low. He pulled the engine and removed the heads. A couple cylinders had 10 to 12 thousands clearance between the piston and cylinder wall. There were issues with almost all cylinders. Now I needed to make a decision as to what I wanted to do. The 427 is a 1969 4 bolt block. When I bought it was freshly bored .060 and ready to build. I think the next size over the counter piston for a 427 is .100 over. I didn't want to bore the block that much. At that point I had three options; buy a complete engine, buy another block or sleeve all 8 cylinders in this block. I didn't like the idea of 8 sleeves. I talked to Mark at Vortecpro. I liked what Mark was telling me but he was 2 to 3 months from being able to build an engine for me. I am about 50 miles from Fulton Competition so I decided to call and talk with Gene Fulton. His suggestion was to have my block honed just enough to clean up the worst cylinder and hone/bore the rest to match then order a set of custom pistons. I decided to let Gene build the engine. The block ended up at .070 over. I had a mild hydraulic cam which he replaced with a hydraulic roller. I'm not sure what all else he did. Gene called Friday to let me know that the engine is finished. I'll find out more info Monday when I pick it up.
James

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Picking up New Engine Monday: Dyno Sheet Added

I picked the engine up a couple hours ago. When Gene Fulton called my Friday to let me know it was ready. I asked him a few questions about the engine and the dyno results. He said it dynoed at about 500 hp. I figured it was 480 to 490 or so. When I picked it up I was pleasantly surprised. Check out the dyno report to see why.
James

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Nice James, that last 50-60hp probably would have never been found without the dyno time. Perky little 427 should be pretty snappy. Do you see this motor doing anything past 5.5k rpm? What type of carb -cfm/jetting?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The carb is the same 850 Holley that has been on the engine for 10 years. I don't remember anything about it. I doubt that the engine will ever see anything over 5000 rpms. I would like to run it at the track once just to see what it will do but that probably won't happen.
James

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Nice James. Bullet makes good cams. Torque is impressive, over 460 from 3300 to 5800. :thumbsup:

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,318 Posts
yeah, look at that dyno sheet. 90% or more of peak numbers. That's a killer street engine.

Reactions: CDN SS

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're rectangle port heads, any work?
They are 840 cast heads. The only thing done to them was changing the valves to 2.19 and 1.88 Manley stainless steel ones.
James

·
Registered
516 Posts
sounds good and crisp James.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi David,
I've had the car for almost 14 years. I got to drive it a few miles today. There are still a few bugs to work out. I can tell that this engine is a bit stronger than it was before rebuilding it. I'm ready for a road trip now. :D
James

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sounds awesome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Get some tires and try it at the track... Whenever I put in a new combo I always took it once to really see what it can do.

ak

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, The Beaumont is finally back home. It has been gone since May. The new engine runs great. I also changed the radiator to a DeWitt's aluminum radiator. So far it seems to be running about 20* cooler. Here is a short video of a little burnout.
James

1 - 20 of 34 Posts