Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 HP - 3 phase air compressor running off of a phase converter that is in need of replacing or possibly repairing

For the last few years now I have to start it by holding a relay in by hand everytime until the motor reaches enough RPM to keep going

Even though I have extra storage tanks in addition to it's (I'm guessing) 80 gallon tank and it doesn't have to come on too often, I'm getting tired of running over and hand starting it but I can't find the guy that built the converter for me years ago and don't really understand how the thing works to try and diagnose the problem myself

so here is my question;

Does anyone have a diagram for building a 10 HP phase converter or know where I can get one?
(I would really like to try to build one myself)

or,

Does anyone know of a good source for a new one?

I hate to send it off somewhere because I won't have shop air until I get it back

TIA

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It sounds like you just have a bad relay (motor starting contactor?) or just some bad control wiring. Maybe a timer or something is bad? Really shouldn't cost much to fix at all.

If there is voltage at the relay coil and the thing isn't energizing then just replace it.

Peter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Peter has a good point. If it's just a contacter acting up, swap out the contacter. Ones I recall you can swap the body from any amperage contacter and use your existing points.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish it was that simple, it's been a couple of years since I tried to figure it out now so I don't remember what the original simptoms were but as I recall there is a (several pole ?)inclosed clear plastic relay that operates the two pole open contact start relay and there is diode involved :confused:

I have A/C compressor potential start relays in stock in my service truck, maybe I could figure out what "pick up" and "drop out" voltage I need

I'll have to take some pictures as soon as I get my digital camera back from a friend that borrowed it to take pictures of his BOOM BOOM noise,,, er, I mean sound system

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Seems a little high. I was hitting rotary convertors for around $600 without trying. Suspect that you may find a refurbished one cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Get a picture Dean. Maybe it won't be too hard to fix. Still sounds like it could be a coil to me.

Try pulling the wires off of the coils and measuring them with an ohmmeter to see if one is shorted or open.

Peter

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dean if you don't get it working I could come up
next weekend and look at it for you. I would
like to meet you anyway.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, you are about 80 miles from me, that would be quite a drive
I would like to meet you too though
Are you familiar with static phase converters with automatic start relays ?

My club getting together next Saturday and cruising to another cruise in Belton MO maybe we could get mpar <Mike> from Pleasant Hill, Jake <jakes> from Independence MO, no1dc <Pete> from Lexington MO, rocks66ss <Rocky Hill> from Prairie Village, and 72SSAbody <joe> from Lawrence KS and have a TC gathering

{EDIT}
Forgot rocky, lets see whoe else is from around here

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice talking to you today Dean, hope to see you
Saturday.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here Kevin

I found some old wiring diagrams on the phase converter that I drew several years ago
Now I'm trying to remember if I ever finshed them

I think <Ragtop67Malibu283> Jamie Holley is coming over with his 67 convertible Sat AM too so we can get his alternator working

{edit}
My dog, Toby said to bring along one of your pups

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hopefully the guys visiting you can help figure this out.

Personally, if the resistors and diodes check out then I'd be suspect of the potential relay.

Peter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts