Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I need some or a lot of help!
I'll be the first to admit I don't know that much about cars but i'm trying to learn. A friend that does know quite a bit is helping me with this but we ran into some problems. Here is what I need some of your help with-
On the bellhousing the tab that you bolt the motor too cracked off, what can I do to fix that or will it be fine if I run it that way? JB wield or what? Its aluminimum.
Second the drivers side will touch and the passenger side of the bellhousing wont, even with the broken tab off. Its about a eighth or fourth of an inch off the motor. What is your advice for those? Also is the PG and TH-350 torque converter interchangable? Could that be the whole problem of them fitting on it?
Last- The brace on the crossmember where the trannie bolts too has a different bolt pattern then the trannie. The PG bolts are about a half or inch closer then the th-350? What should I do? I'm going crazy here with my car up on stands! Thanks for any help anybody can offer!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Are you talking about the tab with the alignment dowel hole? I think if you broke that one the case is done. If you broke one of the other one's you can probably get away with the one bolt missing, unless you have a whole bunch of HP.

As for the converter, I think they are different but just can't remember for sure right now. At any rate, you have to push the converter into the tranny (not too hard though) while rotating it to get the snout to drop into the pump.

In no circumstances should you have to "pull" the transmission to the motor with the mounting bolts. You should be able to just push them together, especially with with more than one person.

Peter

·
Registered
287 Posts
The converter will NOT work. That is your problem. I wouldn't run a broken case, have someone weld it or change cases.

I don't know what you are talking about with the crossmember. Is the tranny mount still bolted to the powerglide? It should bolt onto the th350 and crossmember.

Stock converters are inexpensive from a tranny shop or supply house. Look for a Dacco in your city.

------------------
70 Chevelle 15.01 @96
67 Camaro street strip 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro daily driver 12.10 @110.6
www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966

[This message has been edited by Lonnie67 (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
461 Posts
Agree with all the above. Should be a bolt in! Did it a year ago and the only prob you might have is a slight dinging of the hump to clear the dipstick. Don't know why but my trans mount (rear) didn't line up perfectly. So I only hand tightened all the bolts til I got stuff started and then torqued all down. PS: mine was done with an engine swap with new frame mounts at the same time. My column shifter still works great, althought L is of the scale to the right. Big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.