Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I need to replace the Mallory Unilite ignition system with something more dependable. I'm tired of dealing with it not starting and going back and forth to the mechanics. It's outa here!

Any opinions about which pointless system to go with? I've got a 327+.030, headers etc..
What about the Petronix systems?

Thanks for the imput....

jack

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
For low cost and high reliability it's hard to beat an HEI. I got a rebuildable HEI for $15, put in a new module and rebuilt the bushings and with a new cap it's been running without being touched for nearly 20k miles and 4 years in my '69 Chevy truck with a sb400.

If you go with Pertronix, get the original version (Ignitor I) since it has been reported to be more reliable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There are many horror stories with the ignitor. I have one myself, but won't get into it. Just know that MANY people (but not all) had problems with them.

I made the switch to HEI.....MUCH better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FULMNTE
I hear alot about the MSD but not sure if it's advertising...
Rich-L79
From reading the Petronix they have HEI,
but its the Flamethrower??

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A stock HEI will be a lot less expensive and work fine for your application.

Stick in a good coil and maybe a chip and it'll more than adequite for the street.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Since you are already in Calif, you could take/send your existing dist to Dave Ray, he is in Whittier. website www.davessmallbodyheis.com Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
I see Pertronix does have an HEI system though the stock HEI is pretty darn good so why spend the extra bucks? The Ignitor I system allows you to make an electronic ignition system with your stock points distributor. The Ignitor II system is the one I've heard receive most of the complaints. Either way, the Pertronix systems DO require that they are set up properly or they are doomed to fail. Clearances between the pick up and module and shaft up and down play are key.

Dave R. does do great work. He can HEI-ify your points distributor which is effect what the Pertronix will do for you but with Dave's work it's a drop-it-in-and-go proposition. Not sure how the cost compares.

I believe Dave could set up a nice HEI for you if you want to go that route but don't want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,
I made a shortcut to Dave's place.
I'll get in touch with him soon.
Thanks for the input and lead.
jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts