Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this really CAUSE oil leaks??
or are these reports just conincidental that leaks startd sometime after changing to synthetics??

if so how??

i just changed to mobil one after 25k miles on petroleum based..

have i screwed up??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it can, and I have a theory why. But first a little calibration data. When I switched to synthetic from dino in my Jeep with ~100K miles, it really started to leak. I replaced the oil seals and had no more leaking problems. When I switched to synthetic in my high-mileage Elky, I developed a small leak out of the rear main seal. I replaced the PCV valve and hoses and the leak stopped. My theory is, on high mileage cars, small particulates get packed into the oil seals and become part of the sealing surface. Syntehtics have much better detergent action and remove these particulates and then the seal leaks, especially if it's old and hard and not able to reconform to the sealing surface. A good PCV system can eliminate minor oil leaks, but if the leaks are too big, new oil seals are in order. At this point, switching back to dino oils won't eliminate the leaks. In case you've never had the experience, replacing the rear main oil seal is a REALLY FUN job!.

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.