·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
403 Posts
Castrol GTX.
I had a camaro that smoked for the first 10 minutes it ran. I was using a cheap brand cause I had to add oil frequently.

Decided to put in castrol GTX and the car stopped smoking except for the first 20 seconds it ran.
Also didn't use as much oil either.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Use anything from a major oil company that is the correct grade for your engine. Most of us (including me) do not know enough about oils to really make an informed choice. I worked for GM and for Chrysler in the 70's and both locations used Texaco oils in their engineering lab engines.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I use Valvoline, no problems. I'd stay away from the yellow bottle and the green (clear?) bottle.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm with Mr. Wagner, any major brand oil is fine, as long as you use the correct grade. I think regular oil and filter changes matter infinitely more than what brand of oil is used.

Another related question- I have heard people say you should not change brands of oil in an engine, that eventually this could lead to premature wear because the formulations are different in different oils (additives?). I know you don't want to switch back and forth from synthetic to petroleum, and I know that certain types of grease will break each other down, but has anyone heard anything about oil compatibilities, or is this just some urban hot rodder myth?

·
Registered
72 Posts
HEY !!! this is the 90's guys use a fully synthetic, {hope i spelled that right :-}any brand , I use Castrol Syntex 5w50

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.