Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here is what I got. I have a 69SS with a 402. Intake is a edelbrock torker II manifold and would like to replace it with the performer rpm with a edelbrock 1407 carb and with a 3" k&n airfilter on top. Does anyone know if this combo will give me any clearance problems. The rpm seems to be a little higher than the torker. Any adive would be really appreciated.....thanks in advance

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed the same set up on my 454 and I'm looking at buying a cowl hood for my 67. Stock hood does not provide the clearance needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It should be easy to measure. Using a straight edge, measure from the top of the air cleaner to the bottom edge of the mainfold. Then go get a can of Play-Dough from your local toy store. Make 5 "towers" of playdough and place them around the edge of the air cleaner with 1 "tower" in the center. Make the 'towers" about 3 inches high. The close the hood gently. Then open the hood and measure the new height of the caly "towers". Add otgether the height of the towers plus the measurements you got from using the straight edge and you have the total height available within your engine bay. Then just measure your new components and "see if the fit". Remeember, you need about two inches of "free space" above the air cleaner to accommpdate for engine torque.

------------------

L

·
0 Posts
I doubt the RPM is much higher than a stock aluminum dual plane. Even so, I'm currently running a Holley Strip Dominator (single plane, certainly higher than an RPM) without clearance problems on a 69SS. This is with a stock air cleaner and filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
lar,
The air cleaner maybe your down fall. I have a 68 SS396 with a Torker 2-O manifold. The maniflod that I replaced was an Edelbrock C 396 which is the earlier version of the performer series manifolds. The Torker is taller than the C 396 by about 1/8". The air cleaner base needs 1-11/16" drop min. (measured from the carb airhorn gasket surface to the surface the bottom of the filter element sits on) if you use a 3" element. The top cover should measure 7/8" from the surface the top of the filter element mates against to the high point near the center by the wing nut. On my Torker this gives me 1/4" clearance between the air cleaner and the inside of the hood. It has never hit the hood yet, but I run a torque strap. With out the strap it may rub if you really hammer it, but it wouldn't cause any damage other than the paint on the under side of the hood.
If you remove the carb, lay a streight edge from front to rear and measure down to the end seal surface of the manifolds you should get the following numbers.

front rear
C-396 4 3/8" 5 1/2"
Torker 4 1/2" 5 5/8"

Check with the Tech Rep at edelbrock to get the exact numbers on the manifold and carb you want to use,then add it all together to be sure.
GaryR

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same combo as you - 408 BBC in a '69. I tried to run a Performer RPM, but it wouldn't clear the SS hood. I ran a crummy cowl hood for a while (riveted plastic on a flat hood) but I didn't like the way it looked. I have since replaced the RPM manifold with a non-RPM Performer, Edelbrock 1407 carb (with added electric choke) and a 14" drop-base air cleaner with a 2.25" tall K&N element. The air cleaner doesn't hit the hood (an SS one now), but it sure is close.

[This message has been edited by rgribi (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 408 Big Block in a 68 Chevelle w/ SS hood, and I'm running the Performer RPM manifold with a drop base K&N Air filter (3" x 14"), with no clearance problems. I've ran this combo with both a holley 750DP and a carter 750 afb too.
I don't think you should have a problem with your 69...good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.