Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a .030 over 454 open chamber motor together and need to stay at a 10 to 1 SCR max for this one .(street use mainly,some abuse intended!)
I am on a tight budget (spent all the $ on the heads) but have never been a fan of the hyper pistons so..... ,What are the best deals out there for a forged set?
Any I should avoid?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I am putting a .030 over 454 open chamber motor together and need to stay at a 10 to 1 SCR max for this one .(street use mainly,some abuse intended!)
I am on a tight budget (spent all the $ on the heads) but have never been a fan of the hyper pistons so..... ,What are the best deals out there for a forged set?
Any I should avoid?
Thanks all!
wiseco PROTRU , about 520.00 with plasma rings included. THAT makes the pistons around 420.00 and rings 100.00 NOT A BAD DEAL AT ALL...

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
You could also use the Speed Pro/TRW L2465F30 forged piston and a set of Federal Mogul moly top cast second of rings,# E233K30.The pistons are under 370$ and the rings are under 50$,around 420$ total and are available from Jegs.With a set of 119 cc heads and depending on gasket thickness and piston to deck height the CR would probably be between 9.5-10.0:1.
Guy

·
Registered
13,382 Posts
While I had not been a fan of the KB pistons, I have used the Speed Pro hypereutectics with good success. Big advantage when building a budget motor in a few areas. Pistons are reasonably priced. Piston/bore clearance is a tight .0015". Hypers are typically a lot closer in wt than a budget forged piston - big issue when it come to balancing. The SpeedPro hypers have deep valve reliefs, the TRW/SpeedPro forgings will most likely need flycut for an agressive cam. In the future, I could see myself using the KB pistons, now that I have finally realized the failure rate is due primarily to not following installation directions for the top ring gap. Every automotive manufacturer uses hyper pistons in there production motors including the high output motors.

PS - just in case you change your mind on the hypers, SpeedPro # is H693CP with an open chamber head.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What is the CC of the heads? Wondering cause I have a set of forged trw 2399 that are .030 that I pulled when I took the engine to .060. They are hanging on GM rods that were resized and ARP bolts installed. They might work well for you......................They would fit your budget!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts