Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People stealing photos off the web- Then selling a Collage with them...

Arg. Not sure if i should be flattered or annoyed. I think i'm annoyed/irritated :mad:

Guy on ebay is selling a poster with pics of most of the production year elcaminos represented. Simply an "artsy" photo collage with "ElCamino" in the background.

THe problem?

About 1/3 of the pics are ones I took of local club members cars (and my own) and posted on my club's website (with a copyright note at the bottom)

I also noticed a few pics taken from our own ElCamino section, and two pics i know to be Dan Carr's el Caminos.

Now i know lots of people copy pics on the internet, i've been annoyed by that before, seeing my pics show up elsewhere with no credit... but at least those places weren't selling them!

I send the guy an e-mail basically saying that I'd just like to see a credit to my clubs website listed in his ad.. we'll see what he says or does (probably nothing)

For some reason it really bugs me. :mad:

· Registered
272 Posts
Re: People stealing photos off the web- Then selling a Collage with them...

Ahh take it as a compliment that you have something you drive that people consider beautiful... beautiful enough to put on their wall. Its kinda cool knowing that your car is that nice.:mad: :noway: :D :yes:

The guy making the "Art" is not the most ethical, but...

POZ

· Premium Member
14,489 Posts

If he is selling them. Thats not legal is it? Whats to say you couldnt tell him to cease and desist?

· Premium Member
8,560 Posts

Got a link to the auction? Pretty Sure ebay frowns on copyright infringement. I am sure a few folks using the report violation will at least inconvienece him for doing it.
I think I'll go snooping :)

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts

Do you really have them copyrighted??

and Yes, I know the feeling, have been through it time and time again.. Clocks on ebay, posters, other web sites, etc... and it always makes me angry too. Usually a short email telling them to stop or pay you/credit you is enough. Compliment??? Yes, sure.. but Rude all day long!

Mike

· Registered
6,914 Posts

To hell with being flattered and walking away. If you have a copyright notice on the page send him an e-mail that says you want $50 per poster he sells, or you are sueing him for copyright infringement. Also tell him your attorney will be in contact with him shortly. You will see that auction close very quickly.

Jeff

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

this is the Ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EL-C...ItemQQcategoryZ10076QQitemZ110110664949QQrdZ1

The Black 71 Elky at the top is a pic i took of a friends car
the Red 64, same story.
The black 69 in the bottom wasn't taken by me, but was still taken off my website. And the Redish burgandy 70 Elky is MINE- Photo I took in front of the previous owners house.

Honestly i don't really have any idea of copyright laws. I put a copyright notice on the website, but i know for a fact that several other places have stolen my pics before to place on their own sites and never responded when i asked them to put a credit in.

Legally, i'm not going to sue anybody over stealing my pics, so its a waste of my time to try and threaten someone, So I guess i'm just venting.

· Premium Member
483 Posts

if you say your work is copyrighted, then it is.

I don't think just saying it's copyrighted is protection. There is an actual copyright office with applications and stuf that has to be filled out. And the copyrights granted are not forever. My wife has several songs that are really copyrighted. If there is an ACTUAL copyright in place, then you can easily go after someone stealing, because that is exactly what it is.

· Registered
112 Posts

Copyrights for photos and artwork are different. If your work is posted online with a "c" in a circle and the exclusions of that work posted on the page it is a legal copyright as long as that is your original work.
I have no info on songs or text.

here are facts;

Form of Notice for Visually Perceptible Copies
The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following three elements:

1. The symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright,” or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and

2. The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful article; and

3. The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

Example: © 2006 John Doe

more info; http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wccc

· Registered
1,162 Posts

I understand what you are saying, and not saying this is the case. What if he took the picture at a car show? People sell pictures of thing they don't own all the time, city skylines, buildings etc. I think you would be hard pressed to prove he snagged the pics of your website, especially with the backgrounds photo shopped away. I am by no means condoning this.

http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html

Edit .. but dont quote me :) ©

· Premium Member
7,236 Posts

I personally dont think its that big of a deal. You cant see the license plates, I could care less if my car was on it. Sorry I disagree with you, I still respect your opinion though, so dont get mad at me. ;)

· Registered
112 Posts

if I bring my car to the show and you snap the pictures, you own the right to the pictures. There may be a clause in the show registration that says the photos taken are the property of the show promoter or whom they deem authorized to shoot the cars. This situation was made very popular a few years back in NASCAR with the sanctioning body restricting media persons and photo taking within the tracks.
if you take pictures of Niagra Falls, they are YOUR photos, even though you dont own the water.
I cant make this stuff up!!

· Premium Member
12,365 Posts

From his feedback looks like he has sold quit a few of them?
Also its a picture of just the car and not your entire photo have they croped the car and changed the back ground layout and added the haze effect around the car?
If it is they have done atleast a 10% change of the actual stolen photo, I rember reading about this can be done without any recourse???
Correct me if Iam wrong???

· Premium Member
938 Posts

Chances are he's already made enough money off the poster,so why not ask for a few copies for the Elcamino club as "payment".

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey- don't get me wrong, as i said in my last post- This is not a huge deal to me, i'm not planning on trying to sue someone... Its just i find it irritating that someone would take my photos and use them to make money without asking.

The guy finnaly mailed me back and stated that he found them on the MuscleCar Club website, which I have known for a while had stolen them and reposted them without credit. I had contacted them several times in an effort to get credit for my photos with no avail. Obviously their reposting of them is now responsible for this guy using them. Either way it doesn't make it right.

Its just a matter of principal- and I am irritated by it.... thats all.

If you are going to sell something, you should own it first.

And regardless what site he got my pics off of- they were not his own, EVEN if he has now modified them slightly to hide the backgrounds.

I guess the lesson is- Going forward Mark any pics you post online with a watermark containing Copyright year and your name- You can bet that i'll be doing it from now on.

· Premium Member
6,257 Posts

I have some of my artwork in my showroom account here. I have a lot of other stuff that I won't post because of the very reason you mention. I'm not in it to sell, but what if I ever want to sell some artwork, only to find that somebody else has ripped me off & is profitting from my work? It's too bad. On the other hand, some of my stuff is retouched GM photos, plus 1 private contribution. I am fortunate that they don't come after me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.