Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sell 100-150 items a year on Ebay and buy maybe 20 items a year. I have avoided PayPal until now due to horror stories I have heard but now I am thinking of trying due to the speed of payment.

Two questions:
1. Paypal good or bad and why or why not?
2. Which version of paypal should I use if I use it, personal or premier?

Any other tips appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,151 Posts
With you selling that many items a year I say go for it... I like to think folks pay more and in a hurry...less hastle for me.
And easier to purchase stuff on a whim to relieve stress.
He He. Plus get stuff shipped to you in a hurry!!!

Business or maybe it is premier that you get your own Paypal card that allows you spend your money now and thats the way I like it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I think PayPal is a necessary evil. It is convenient, and quick. I think people are more willing to buy if they can pay with out having to go out and get a Money Order.

I would compare it to E-Bay. There is no customer support (you are on your own, well pretty much, I have had them refund money to me on a person that did not describe their item accurately in their action, but you have to fight for it and it takes forever))

So I would say if you are going to use E-Bay, you should have PayPal. :(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Your sales will definitely go up, as many people (including me) won't pay any other way. It costs money, but I think it works out in the long run. I sell a lot on ebay, have 22 auctions running right now...

Might depend on what you are selling... Smaller ticket items (under $100 or so) definitely work better with Paypal. Many folks might not mind going to the bank when buying big ticket stuff...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Paypal is great I have been using it for a while now and would not have it any other way, But just bewhere of the email scams out there . never answer any emails reguarding paypal or ebay without going dirrectly to your my ebay account .This way it is safe

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
If you sell alot of stuff, it cost you about the same as having a merchant account for credit cards (I think it's 2.8%).

I recently had someone who claimed they might not have recieved an item I sold them, and since I had already moved the funds from PayPal to my bank, it gave me a negative balance while it was being resolved, which meant I couldn't use PayPal to pay for anything. Even an attempt to move the funds from my bank to PayPal took 3 days, so I was basically without paypal for three days. The issue was resolved in my favor, but still affected my ability to buy stuff for a few days.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I use Pay Pal for buying and selling never had a problem but i sure will hate it if i ever do. I do feel though many people will only buy if the seller takes it so if you sell a lot might be missed opportunities if you don't take it. I have the basic account.

Rich.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I am not sure it is clear but when you sell something and they pay you with PayPal you, the seller, pays a fee, soooooo

You pay e-bay an insertion fee, you pay e-bay a finial value fee, and then you pay PayPal a fee (which is owned by e-bay) a fee for processing the money.

It is the only game in town :mad:

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've used paypal for a good while and have no problems with it. Instant payment and my stuff is shipped quicker. I require it on all my sale auctions. I don't want to jack with a money order. If I were selling a car, I might not use it to avoid the big fee.

I like it to keep my paypal $ out of the family checkbook. Fewer questions as to why I need this or that.

I used it to recover a payment made to a guy who misrepresented his item. It cost me $25 but I never would have gotten anything back without it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've used Paypal for many years, probably well over 200 transactions both ways, never a issue with it. I know several people however who have, but I think it's more of being aware of who you're dealing with on the other end of the transaction, and not so much Paypal, that presents the problem most of the time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am not sure it is clear but when you sell something and they pay you with PayPal you, the seller, pays a fee, soooooo

You pay e-bay an insertion fee, you pay e-bay a finial value fee, and then you pay PayPal a fee (which is owned by e-bay) a fee for processing the money.

It is the only game in town :mad:
That's what handling fees are for. I add a S&H fee to all my auctions to cover the cost of shipping materials and fees. As long as the fees are reasonable, most buyers don't mind.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
People will generally pay more for something they can purchase with a credit card. (paypal). The 3% they charge you is usually covered by the theoretic larger bids you recieved. I've never had a problem buying or selling utilizing paypal. As Bill said I rarely bid on something which doesn't take paypal as a form of payment unless I need it real bad.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
I have used Pay Pal for years (premier) and never had a single problem, I like it...that's the only type of payment I take anymore on Ebay, I have had it with buyers saying 'I put the check in the mail today', then a week later, Im still waiting. No more.
If you use paypal don't be surprised if you get a notice from them saying a international company has tried to use you account. It has happened to my wife more than once!!
And this has never happened to me either. Go for it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have 130 transactions with 100% positive feedback { only buyer ,not a seller } and after having PayPal totaly screwup my account more than once, I refuse to you them anymore :sad: Only pay with a check or money order , and if the seller refuses to take either, I look elsewhere and have always found what I'm after :thumbsup: If I am told PAYPAL only, my response is good luck with your auction, see ya ! ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts