Chevelles.com banner

341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
The angle of that window channel on 68-72‘s is a water trap for sure. Probably why I had to R&R the channel. Pugsy I hope you didn’t put drain holes in yours.
Not yet.
I will be popping the trim off for a quick color change this winter.
Why would you say not to drill a drain hole? Because it will go inside the car?

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Not yet.
I will be popping the trim off for a quick color change this winter.
Why would you say not to drill a drain hole? Because it will go inside the car?
Yeah it’s just a ledge under the trim, that’s why when that rots thru, then the floor starts to rust out soon following. Mines in a garage, but guys that parked under trees and so forth (pine needles, leaves) over the years, it is going to rust thru there in the corners. It‘s a truck, I doubt mine was treated like a LS6. Heck it even had a topper on the back at some point to funnel junk into that ledge, under the trim. If it’s not in bad shape, guys should blast the bottom trim with a hose to clean it out regularly. Pontiacs, Buick’s all used that window ledge.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
This last Saturday I unbolted the fenders to try and align them the best I could with shims. I bolted on the hood hinges and wrestled the springs on each. The second shows the right side hinge. See how the China made hinge bends in. When the hoods on you’d probably never see it, it just bothers ocd me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Here are two new pictures. Today my son in law helped me put the hood on. I gotta shim the right rear fender out slightly but it fits square. The only problem being the rear sticks up. I searched and they said to rotate the hinge and set the rear down and tighten bolt, then raise the hood up to pull the front up and tighten. It helped but not enough. Any suggestions? I took the air cleaner off but it’s the same. Dynacorn hood looks nice. The front of the truck sits at a normal height but the back sits down over the tires, it’s at the minimum setting to see how high the tubs need to go, not much. It’s a three inch raised bed that tapers down to the tail edge. You wouldn’t notice that detail at first glance but it clears the four link.

55F35033-3451-4149-823B-7406FB324BA6.jpeg DFFD1371-43D9-4DD8-9DF0-4937FF2428EB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
On the seat belts; I found that seatbeltsplus.com had the 3 point seat belt weld-in shoulder brackets, but I’ll drill and bolt them on with the original threaded holes. Inline tube had a nice bolt kit with all the shank bolts and bracket bolts for the seat belts. I searched around and will just reuse my bumper bolts when I get to that. I left the bumpers together with the brackets attached when I pulled them off, so I know how they go together. I found an original upper hood latch on eBay. The aftermarket stuff I see was paper thin. So I have more items coming to get it a little closer to getting a license plate. Oh and new needle and seats for the carb. It starts to flood after a few minutes. The engines got less than ten minutes on it but those carb gaskets and seats are ten years old and leaked. Whack a mole.

·
Registered
220 Posts
123Pugsy, that’s a nice bed cover you have on there. How is it holding up to weather?
Thanks.
So far so good after two seasons.
When I'm not driving I have a car cover keeping the UV rays off, so that's helping as well.
The car cover is the main reason I bought it. To hold it up so it wouldn't fill with rain.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Today was working on the hood. I adjusted out the right rear fender and adjusted the front header to both fenders. I took out the drivers-side hinge after seeing there was no more adjustment left to make. I elongated the rear hole and ground the bolt washer to get the hood down. Then I worked the hood latch and center bolt height. It came out good enough for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
123Pugsy, I like the look of it too, it finishes it off nicely. Did you search around for it or find it locally?
I bought it from the States. Nothing good comes from Canada. Eckler's maybe. But I found the company after the fact and I could have bought it direct.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #354 (Edited)
Thanks pugsy, might do something on that order when done. Looks nice.

Today I raised up the back onto Jack stands to go under and try to find the seat belt holes on the hump. As expected, the Driver side had the new floor pan covering it so I had to locate it with an awl underneath, and drill a hole top side. I run a tap through both sides and put the bolts in. Just melted holes in the carpet with the soldering iron and went back and bolted them all in place. Seat belts; check!
While up, I unbolted the coil-overs on the four link to raise the rear of the bed up a 1 1/2”.
EB9E61B0-F982-41E4-8EFE-35C9823C9A79.jpeg

·
Registered
220 Posts
AC is good. Just hope it's not the same junk as I got from Classic Auto Air.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I put a classic auto air in my 68 and it works fine here in FL. Paulie is going to need AC down here to cruise. One suggestion it got that I used was to install an electric fan together with my clutch fan, or you dont get much cooling at low speeds or idle.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
I put a classic auto air in my 68 and it works fine here in FL. Paulie is going to need AC down here to cruise. One suggestion it got that I used was to install an electric fan together with my clutch fan, or you dont get much cooling at low speeds or idle.
Thanks Bob, good suggestion. I wish I had more room. My fan belts had to be forced in; between the water pump pulley and fans. No room for a mechanical fan.
This last weekend the weather was great so I bit the bullet and took off the AC and brackets to get down to remove the power steering pump so I could take out these two 1/4” spacers on the vintage air kit that space out the bracket off the head.They had my AC pulley out of alignment with everyone else. What a pain. With the rear bracket against the head it lined up better. Reassembled and then I noticed the front AC bracket didn’t fit right either. I had to grind an eighth inch off the water pump spacer. Now it aligns the belts. A lot of hanging over and going underneath getting to all the bolts, but the weather was nice, dry and breezy. ( We don’t get dry air in south Florida until dec - feb. ) 😓 I bought a new angle grinder and 4” wire wheel to clean up the bed perimeter for welding, but didn’t get to it, doing the pulley alignment instead. Went with the flow. Still working on the AC wiring too, not turning on.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I dont have a big old honking big block, just its baby brother. LOL I put the ac electric fan in front of the radiator assembly, and left the factory clutch fan and shroud on the rear for the look. When I did my bed last year, after it was blasted I used the rattle can self etching primer. Stuck like glue, and you dont need a spray gun kit. Body shop had no issues primering and painting right over it. Said it was as good as anything they use. FYI. Amazing how quick bare metal will rust in the FL humidity.

341 - 360 of 360 Posts