Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take out .002 or .003? I'm gonna have to reset the Backlash this time, it loosened up just a hair last time. Gonnahave to tighten it back up to .010

Richmond has it scribed into the ring, .010. They say all of their unit's are pre tested, I'm going with what they say, and setting the BL at .010?

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
O.K., moved down to .026 under the pinion. Reset the Backlash to .010, it's actually just a little tighter then that, like .095. Is that right? Just a little tighter then 10 on my dial indicator. Made sure that the pinion preload was 22 in/lbs, and turned the whole thing with an axle.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thank's for looking. Gonna try to get out there, and set it up tonite. I'll post a set of pic's just before I close it up. Just in case I mess something up, as usual.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O.K., this is with the sleeve crushed, 22 in/lbs. Got the BL at .010, that's what it says on the ring. slipped in both axle's, and rolled it over both ways.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank's Freddie, one thing that I did notice, while rolling it over it seemed to have a little bit of a stiff spot. Also was alot stiffer then before I crushed the sleeve. Is that common? Hopefully it just needs to work it's self in?

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's a false alarm. :hurray:

The stiff spot happens once every pinion revolution. Not once every ring revolution. And I checked the BL at the stiff spot, and it's dead on. :thumbsup: Upon closer inspection, I think that the collar on my yoke is rubbing, I'm pretty sure that I can hear it. (I'm mostly deaf due to too many year's of listening to DD's screaming all day long.) I'm gonna get the WonderBoy out there in the morning to turn it for me while I look closer.

I tried to get a new one at Randy's awhile back, but they were out of stock, so we sleeved it. After I hammered it back into round.:yes: I also think that it is seated a little deeper this time, due to using the proper tool to set the pre-load. I don't think I had the pre-load set properly last time.

Maybe that's why it rumbled so bad coasting?:eek: :yes:

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, it's just the collar rubbing on the housing. Couple tap's with the brass hammer, and it roll's over just fine. Guess it's time to install the cover.:hurray: Put it in the car, and try to break it.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts