Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I just wanted to say what a great site and great talent here. I have been lurking and learning for a while now and have applied much of the knowledge gained here to my '72 Chevelle project. I am now in the middle of a gear change and have a pattern question. Sorry I couldn't be more original.

My setup:
'72 Buick Skylark 8.5" 2.56 non-C-clip axle (LK B267 1).
Installing a 3.42 from a '91 chevy van of the same type axle.

I did not take my dial indicator with me to check the backlash of the 3.42 gear when I removed it so I don't know what the original backlash may have been. The gear set looks absolutely new, perfectly clean lube, nothing at all in the bottom of the housing, bearing looks great.

Pulled my old 2.56 carrier out, removed the pinion, removed the old races, thoroughly cleaned the housing and axle tubes inside and out.

Installed new races, new outer pinion bearing, carrier bearings & races.

Current settings:
The pinion is in, no spacer or seal, preload set to 19~20 in/lbs.
The backlash is set to .010 (for used gears, .008 for new?), checked in 4 places around the gear.
Carrier bearings are shimmed tight, I have to use a hammer handle to pry the carrier out.

My pattern question:
I have pics below of the drive and coast side of the current setup. The drive side looks like I may need to pull about .003 out of the pinion but the coast side looks about centered. Ignoring that I already have .010 basklash it also looks like I could open it up a little more to spread the pattern. Is it OK to run .012?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-jon

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
That looks like a pretty good pattern for a set of used gears. I don't think I would change anything. When setting up used gears it is usually better to pay more attention to the coast side than the drive side. The coast side gets much less wear on it and will give a pattern closer to what you would find on a new gear. Your drive side looks pretty good too. Keep the backlash at .010.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BGH! Now it's on to crushing the spacer and sealing up everything. The tip you posted about using the axle to turn the carrier made the difference in reading the pattern.

-jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts