Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a parking light socket ( something got in and ate the wires off )
Ground Up doesn't list it in the catalog.
They DO list the brake light socket ( same bulb )
Does anybody know if a brake light socket will mount ( twist in ) where the parking light socket goes ?
I COULD pull off the rear bumper and look but....

It IS a 72 Malibu

·
Registered
280 Posts
Remember that the brake light bulbs have two filaments (and two contacts on the base) - not sure which parking light you're asking about, but some have only a single filament and a single contact on the base.. they're not electrically interchangeable but do seem to fit in the same size hole.

Both kinds are readily available at your local auto parts store, by the way.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you aren't worried about the car being correct, only functional, Derek is correct. The 72 tail light sockets have a seal around the wires and a rubber seal around the face of the socket. This is to prevent water from getting at the wire crimp connections or inside the lens housing. You could get a back up light socket from something like a mid 80s Buick, seal the wires with RTV, and put RTV around the socket face. The socket will physically fit into the housing and isn't visible unless you pull the bumper. I've been able to change the brake sockets without pulling the bumper but never tried the back-up sockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts