Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know what color the wire for the parking brake idiot light is? I was going to put my PB in last night and found an unattached white wire in that area. Could that be it? TIA,

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #72

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Don't know what year car but in general white wire in that area is for the door jamb switch. The brake light wire should be tan.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, its a 72. If the door jamb wire is the one that controls the dome, my dome works when I open the door.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
does the dome light work off the passenger door also? The drivers side jam switch is also a junction for the passenger side jam switch wire. Steve is right on the brake light wire, light brown or tan.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
TC member #493

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey folks,
The dome light works on the passenger door too. Did the 72s have a key buzzer for when the keys were left in the ignition while the door was open? Seat belt light? This puzzles me. Thanks!

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Kevin,

Not sure on all your questions...

Did '72s have a key warning buzzer. YES. When the key is left in the ign. and the driver's door is open, the black wire (on the other lug of the door jamb switch) gets grounded, causing the buzzer to go off. This debuted in '68 I believe.

I'm pretty sure '70 -'72 used the same wire colors on the basic stuff. My '70 has white wires on the door jamb switches, these get grounded (when either door is open) to turn on the dome light.

Your doors have nothing to do with the seatbelt warning indicator. If your interested in how this works, please repost and I'll address it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coppertop,
I'm trying to figure out what the white wire goes to (or is supposed to go to). My dome light works when either door is open. The key warning buzzer doesn't work nor does the the seatbelt light. All other electrical stuff in the interior works. I just don't know what that white wire goes to.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
tape off the white wire, tuck it up under the dash, and get some sleep....

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
TC member #493

1 - 8 of 8 Posts