Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question but, what activates the parking brake light on the dash? Mine does not work

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A ground is connected by a switch on the emergency brake mechanism. When the pedal is all the way up, no ground is connected by the switch and then when it is pushed down some, the switch closes, and then connects the dash light wire to ground and the dash light should come on (providing the ignition switch is in the run position, the light is good, as well as the wiring, and other things).

The wire for the emergency brake switch it is also split to go to a switch on the proportioning valve. If there is a brake pressure failure, this switch connects to ground to turn on the dash light.

Hey, no such thing as a dumb question. If I started asking my dumb questions, I would be typing for weeks.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
NOTE:
On the 70-72s look close at the switch, WHY? Sometimes the switch bracket ( bent, got bumped )will NOT make contact with " GROUND PIN " on the pedal. You may have to bend the switch bracket ( a WE bit) :surprise: and re/adjust the switch.
Just something else to check out.
Bob

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A ground is connected by a switch on the emergency brake mechanism. When the pedal is all the way up, no ground is connected by the switch and then when it is pushed down some, the switch closes, and then connects the dash light wire to ground and the dash light should come on (providing the ignition switch is in the run position, the light is good, as well as the wiring, and other things).

The wire for the emergency brake switch it is also split to go to a switch on the proportioning valve. If there is a brake pressure failure, this switch connects to ground to turn on the dash light.

Hey, no such thing as a dumb question. If I started asking my dumb questions, I would be typing for weeks.

Jim

Hmmm.. I see no wires coming off my emergency brake setup:(

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hmmm.. I see no wires coming off my emergency brake setup:(
The wire might be "stashed" somewhere by the mechanism. The wire is not that long and should be close to the fuse block. Who knows, it might have been cut off.

Here is the switch and wire on my 68 Chevy II:

Here is with the switch activated/grounded with the pedal partially down:

And then when the pedal is up and the switch is not connecting the tan wire to ground:

Jim

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok..pretty sure I found the brown wire, it has a male connector on the end. Looks like in the pics there is a female connector that slips over end of the parking brake assembly switch. Any idea where I could snag one?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are these available to purchase? I grounded out the brown wire and the light came on so it works, just need to be able to connect it to the switch and it seems I am missing the piece to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Are these available to purchase? I grounded out the brown wire and the light came on so it works, just need to be able to connect it to the switch and it seems I am missing the piece to do that.
It looks like it is missing the bottom collar that the connector on the end of the wire pushes into.

Chances are they are available. I'm just attuned to the Nova models.

Here is one on a quick search on ebay that looks like yours:

Jim

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like it is missing the bottom collar that the connector on the end of the wire pushes into.

Chances are they are available. I'm just attuned to the Nova models.

Here is one on a quick search on ebay that looks like yours:

Jim

your correct Jim, that is what is missing. Can you send me the link to that auction? or what did you search?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts