Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for those who remember or might know:

in regards to the front parking lights on my 66 chevelle. they come on when the lights are in their "parking light" mode, but when the headlights are on, the turn off. they still work as turn signals, but the constant-on filament is not on. i'm not asking how to change this, i'm asking, is this how it is supposed to be?

should the parking lights be off when the headlights are on. i saw a 67 gto, and its parking lights were off when its headlights were on. does anyone know for sure? this is more of a trivia question than a technical one...

------------------
just bought: 66 malibu w/ 327

·
Registered
934 Posts
That's how they are supposed to be. Prior to 1968, the front parking lights goes off when the headlights come on.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Registered
859 Posts
They are supposed to be that way as the previous poster pointed out.

However, you can make them come on with your headlights....piece of cake.

Locate the feed wire to the parking lights from the back of the headlight switch and the wire that feeds the hi/lo beam as well. REmoving the whole switch from the dash and/or the plug-in assembly makes life easier on this project. Simply insert a 2 amp (or more) diode (go to radio shack) with the anode (diodes are labelled .....anode side --->|----cathode side) attached to the feed wire to the headlight hi/low beam wire, and the cathode end to the park light feed. The diode will alow current to pass when the headlights are on, and no current will pass when just the park lights are on to the headlights. To insert the diode, cut both wires, use an appropriate inline butt connector and simply crimp the wires and diode ends together. I find crimping hard wire ends to components hard to do right, so I always wrap my components (ie...resistors, diodes) hard wire with a flexible wire and solder it to the wire, then take the flexible regular wire and twist wrap it in a bundle with the wire that I am trying to tap into.

------------------
Steve Jack - ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets / Engineering & Marketing Technologies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts