Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few odd observances I made while fixing recent light problems on the old bomb.

With my hazard four way emergency flashers on, if I press on the brake pedal they quit flashing. I'm pretty sure it is not supposed to work this way - I'm guessing that there is a short in the system somewhere. Can someone tell me if their '67 does the same thing?

Are my front turn signals supposed to be running lamps as well? When I turn on the headlights they remain off, but all turn and emergency flashers work, and the rear running lamps work. So, should my front turn signals light up as running lamps when the headlights are on?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's normal. When you press on the brake pedal, with the emergency flashers on, you are bypassing the "flasher unit" through the brake switch allowing the lights to stay on. As far as the parking lights staying on with the headlights, I think that may be normal too on a 67. I don't think the change was made until 68 or 69. Maybe someone with a 68 can answer that.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
540,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

[This message has been edited by MalibuJerry350 (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
'Bomber,

Don't worry your car is a-ok.

What MalibuJerry said is correct.

BTW, 1968 was the first year the front parking lites stay on when the headlights are turned on.

If you have a 1967, the front parking lights should go OFF when the headlight switch is pulled all the way out, or in other words, when the headlights come on.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, my Bomber is far from "A-O.K.", but little by little it is becoming more and more of a real car - one that actually works as it should!

The thing that got me on the front park lamps is that there are two leads going to each lamp unit, and it uses a standard 1157 dual fillament bulb. I did not think to check if front park lamps came on when headlamp switch was in park lamp (second) position.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 350,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp on its way :)
Left in drive, upshift at 4,000 rpm, 13.31 [email protected] mph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts