Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a list of things that should be painted body color on a 66 SS.

Body color:

The hood scoops outside shell (remove inserts, paint rest body color)
Trim with brightwork below grille above bumper (although I've seen it both ways I think)

SS items that are supposed to be black:
grill center
eyebrow center ribs
Optional: rear center can be black or body color.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
That's odd, I checked and mine has no body color at all and best I can tell it's original. What makes things worse is all the pic running around that aren't correct.
..and my valence didn't have the chrome trim or even the holes for it. (Supposedly), all 66' SS received the chrome strip valence. I would guess my car took a hit to the front and the valence was replaced (although the grill appeared to have the original rivets.) I drilled the holes, put the valence chrome trim on and painted it two color (it was all body color). It's your car, do whatever you like...

·
Registered
625 Posts
..and my valence didn't have the chrome trim or even the holes for it. (Supposedly), all 66' SS received the chrome strip valence. I would guess my car took a hit to the front and the valence was replaced (although the grill appeared to have the original rivets.) I drilled the holes, put the valence chrome trim on and painted it two color (it was all body color). It's your car, do whatever you like...
Dave, I was curious about this trim because my '66 Malibu, that only had 54,000 miles and all original panels, didn't have this trim nor the holes drilled in it's valance either. Is this a SS only trim item? I would have never even noticed it, probably, other than I ordered a complete trim package from Ausley's and this piece of trim for the valance was included. When researching the interweb I found a multitude of variations of with/without and paint variances, lol.

This is my first Chevelle so a lot of this stuff is all new to me, but I'm learning, lol...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, I was curious about this trim because my '66 Malibu, that only had 54,000 miles and all original panels, didn't have this trim nor the holes drilled in it's valance either. Is this a SS only trim item? I would have never even noticed it, probably, other than I ordered a complete trim package from Ausley's and this piece of trim for the valance was included. When researching the interweb I found a multitude of variations of with/without and paint variances, lol.

This is my first Chevelle so a lot of this stuff is all new to me, but I'm learning, lol...
That's odd. I know it was some 50 years ago, but given how but the auto industry was even back then and the following of these cars, you'd thing there'd be more docs on it.

But then again, I'm amazed that we can't product great quality aftermarket panels. That just baffle me all day long, humans today can't do was well as humans 50 years ago...

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I did reference my handy Chevelle reference CD and it does show examples of the Malibu with valence trim. The 300 and deluxe series did not. There are also examples of all body color and two tone valance as this may have been plant specific. Ex. Canada appears to have painted the valence body color. Maybe Jeff Helms will reply as he has multiple survivor 66's...

·
Premium Member
16,799 Posts
For front valence I believe it's Argent Silver above valence trim and body color below valence trim
Dave is correct here. I made that mistake on a 66 I did a couple months ago because I didn't know any better..lack of 66 knowledge. By the time I realized it, or it was pointed out, the valence was already done, buffed and back on the car buried behind the bumper.

Side note, Dave was that you I saw driving up 73 in Berlin last Friday around 2:30 in the afternoon? I was on my way home from work and saw an Aztec Bronze 66 heading north.

·
Registered
625 Posts
thanks for the info guys! To me, and it's just my opinion, that unless you paint the upper half of the valance argent silver, the trim doesn't make sense. But, when two tone it's a continuation, and completes, the grill surround from the corner eyebrows to the trim across the hood... I'm still on the fence with what to do with mine, it didn't have it to begin with and as the case with most repop trim, it's not the most attractive or well crafted piece of trim that I've seen...

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
All US built 66 Malibu's and SS's came with the trim strip, and had silver above the trim and body color below.

New replacement GM valences came without trim holes. So if an SS or Malibu was ever bumped in the nose and that part got replaced, it is possible that whoever did the repairs would try to save a few bucks by not buying the new trim pieces (or was just lazy) and installed the new valence as it came from the parts department.

US built 66 300's and 300-Deluxes did not get the trim strip. I have not seen enough unmolested original 300's to be sure about the paint scheme on those; but I have seen a enough original 300-Deluxes to be reasonably confident that at least some of the plants taped off the valence and painted it 2-tone on 300-Deluxes, even though they did not have the chrome strip on them. The tape line is at the bottom of the bulge where the bottom of the trim strip would be on a Malibu or an SS.

I don't know about how Canadian cars' valences were painted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts