Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several posts about painting the lifter valley and underside of the intake different colors to absorb/reflect heat. Some people say paint only the intake and some people say don't paint at all. What's the story? Do you or would you paint the inside of your motor?

I have never done this and I don't see the benefit. Please enlighten me!

Thanks, Jeff.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
67 ElCamino - Pics coming soon
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reason I heard was for the oil to flow smoothly though the motor. I never heard for heard, but there are alot of things I never heard. hehe

------------------
383 69 Chevelle
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always paint the lifter valley with black rustoleum, I also clean up the edges on the openings at the front and rear of the lifter valley. Supposedly it allows oil to get back into the pan faster and it looks good if you take pictures during a build.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I believe that painting the lifter valley is only for smoother oil flow. The paint is not going to change the temp at all, whatever temp the cast is, that's what the paint will be. Im sure there is some insulative ability there, but I doubt it's noticible. As for diff. colors absorbing heat, that does'nt really make sense unless your talking about radiation. Differences in color & texture only count for absorption if they are exposed to a source of radiation - light. At least that's what makes sense to me. Like the diff. between white painted headers & black headers using the same kind of piant, they should reach the same temp right? The heat source is from the inside where there is no color. The only time the black would be hotter is if they were out in the sun next to the white ones. Al least that's my take on the situation.

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Jeff,
The idea, as a couple off others have said is to help the oil drain back quicker, and also to seal the "pores" of the block to eliminate any chance of leftover casting junk getting into the motor. My personal opinion is that you can accomplish the same thing, if you are really worried about it, by taking a couple of sanding rolls and smoothing the block surfaces. Personally, I would be more worried about some of the paint getting loose and getting into the motor than anything else !

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know someone who has a motor with the lifter valley painted.. Its on a stand and supposedly the motor has a LOT of miles on it... the paint still looks excellent but doesnt appear to be anything you buy a home depot.. I will do my best to find out who painted it and with what. Either way, i'll be painting my lifter valley!

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
51 Posts
jeffc
I would go to WWGranger or equivelent and get some armature paint it looks **** rustoleum but is alot better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Unessessary.On a street motor. While black will help transfer heat from block and white will reflect heat from the bottom of the intake on a drag race motor that only runs a few seconds, on a street motor heat transfer through the metal would soon negate any benifit the paint may provide.
Oil is already pretty slippery and once the pores in the block are filled well try to imagine.
As Bill said I would be much more worried about the paint getting loose and trashing the bearings.(Remember the bypass valve)

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I spent the time and polished the lifter valley and smoothed the oil return holes and also installed screens in the holes.Iam also using a baffle in the lifter valley to keep oil off the manifold.I think it is worth the effort to keep oil where it should be, in the oil pan.The baffle helps with keeping the oil off the heat passage in the manifold thus keeping the temp lower...FRED

·
Registered
27 Posts
The paint that the HI tech people use on the inside of the engine is called "Glyptal".
Only one company I know makes it - Eastwood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.