Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
just finished redoing the complete dash in the hardtop. now many people use dash as a generic term, so Im not sure what you are talking about. dash pod? (houses the gauges) dash pad, or metal dash (everything else). anyway this is what I did.

DASH POD--I took the gauges and everything out and washed it with warm soapy water, to scrub it. I used a stiff plastic bristle brush and an old tooth brush to get to the hard to reach areas. dried it, then wiped it down with laquer thinner. be careful, because laquer thinner can melt plastic. after it was dry I shot it with vinyl dye, I used the flat dye and used light coats, you dont want to "fill in" the grain with heavy coats, also from what I've experienced the heavy coats tend to "fisheye". I used a Testors brand silver paint pen on the areas that used to be chrome, not exactly a factory look, but great for a driver.

Dash Pad-- same procedure

dash- sanded with 400 grit paper, primed (changed from green to black) and sanded with 400 grit again, then shot it semi-gloss black.

I will be posting pics of the complete dash soon.

hope this helps

hope this helps

------------------
Michael

T.C. member # 758
ACES member # 4292

69 malibu convertible
69 malibu h/t 307/pg
<<this space reserved for 66/67 chevelle BB/4spd>>
01 gmc sierra

·
Registered
334 Posts
You say the chrome is still good - then be careful scraping, because the chrome will come off too. If you feel you need to remove some of the original paint - I used orange citrus paint remover gel (I bought at Walmart) to take the paint off of my dash bezel. I didn't leave it on as long as recommended, afraid of hurting the plastic. It took off most of the original blue paint, and didn't hurt what little chrome I did have. I used liquid dish washing soap to clean it, then the SEM cleaner and plastic prep. Sprayed it with Landau black and it came out real nice.

My chrome was pretty much all worn off already, so I did the same as 69Ragtop and used the Testors paint pen.

I don't how you'd mask off the chrome areas when you spray it. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

------------------
Ed
'68 El Camino (Current Project)
'66 Caddy Conv (Cruiser)
'87 Vette Conv (Daily Driver)

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, it's all apart. The gauges were sent out to be checked out. Michael I like the ideas you suggested for cleaning with soap and water then lac. thinner. I now know how to clean it. I know I will have to be careful not to damage the chrome. I am then going to tape off all the chrome with 1/8 in. tape. Ed what is plastic prep. A primer or clear cleaner you leave on the plastic. And what is Landau black ,Who makes it ,and where do you get it? Is it vinyl dye like Michael used, or is it paint. I appreciate the advice.I've restored the whole car and this is one area I'm not real experienced with....Bill Rose

------------------
B.Rose
68-SS396
71-SS454
ACES #04039

·
Registered
334 Posts
The majority of the people on this site that replied when I asked the same question used SEM products. No one ever reported less than good results. Landau Black is the color of the dye. When you're ready to paint the plastic dash bezel there are three steps. The part numbers and descriptions of the products are from the Eastwood site.

1. Plastic Prep (52056Z) cleans and slightly softens plastic interior parts to enhance adhesion of the vinyl dye.

2. Vinyl Paint Sand Free Primer (52040Z) a blend of solvents that slightly softens plastic surfaces for enhanced adhesion of the vinyl dye. This product is usually used after the application of Plastic Prep.

3. Vinyl Coat Landau Black (52066Z) for optimum results and adhesion, use Plastic Prep and Sand Free-Kit on hard plastics, and Vinyl Prep on vinyl.

If you can't find these products locally, checkout Eastwood (eastwoodco.com). That's where I buy my stuff - fair prices and quick service. Same process for vinyl, but you need to use Vinyl Prep instead of the Plastic Prep.
--
Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts