Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about painting my new front suspension parts that can not be powder coated, like the tie rod ends, idler arms, and front centerlink. I would like to retain the natural color as close as possible, so I thought about a clear coat. Another suggestion from a friend was getting a pot metal color. I seen pictures of cars where they painted the parts a dark gray. What paint should I use and how do you prep it so the paint will stay on? Any pictures or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks Ray

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ray,
I just finished painting my frame Matt Imron and all the steering components a cast color Matt Imron. Seems to hold up very well and looks simular to the cast color.
Most paint distributors offer color matching. You might see if anyone can make something for you. I would give you a formula but I made it by eye. I can tell you Imron takes alot of flattener so you don't need much color.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Heres some more Ray, on my site, also tell you what paints and primers.

I always do this Ray, jump in here and say look at my web site, I know I have to quit this, but its an addiction that I'm working on.:)

KMD, you do really nice work:thumbsup:

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I will check out all the info and make a choice. Nice frame KMD, my frame only needs the front suspension parts installed to be complete after a six month restoration, then on to phase two - drive train.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I used duplicolor clearcoat engine paint,i also used it on the brake calipers,center hubs,master cylinder and anything else that i thought would start to rust. I worked out great.

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why can't they be powder coated?

I know that there are the threads and such, but that can be masked off, yes?

Big D
Big D

The parts that have movable parts that are greased have seals inside can't take the 400 degress that powder coating requires. Plus the grease would ruin the powder coat job. In order to have my rear differential powder coated I removed all the bearings and had to have it hot tank to get it clean for powder coating.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I used the POR-15 Metal Mask on mine and and I'm quite pleased with the results. No need to spray, brushing turned out great with no marks whatsoever. The 8 oz. can was more than sufficient. If the Metal Mask formula is the same as POR-15 chassis paint, it's bulletproof and a lot cheaper than powder coating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.