Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to restore my 68ss. What is the best paint to use on the manafolds, muffers, and pipes ? Thanks KK

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Kent,
About3 yrs ago I coated the inside of my exhaust pipes (they were new) with POR-15. I soaked a sponge with the paint and pulled it through the pipes with a long wire. Went twice in both directions. I don't have any rust through evidence at all. This was a procedure recommended by the POR literature. I don't know if they still recommend it, but it worked for me. Sorry I don't have any experience with the rest.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
Abilene Texas

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would also like to know, because header paint, even when installed correctly doesn't stand up. Sorry I couldn't help but I will be checking back here to see what you find out.

·
5,855 Posts
Kent; if you're still running the original cast-iron manifolds, Eastwood has what you need. If you're running tube headers, I would have them coated by someone like Airborn or HPC.
Clint Hooper
68 Elky
Wichita Falls,Tx

·
Registered
622 Posts
I do not think there is ANY paint that will last on headers. I have tried several - they mostly last a few minutes. Coating is the way to go_Or better yet, stainless.

------------------

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For pipes my choice is aluminized. In my opinion it is better than stainless and a lot less expensive. I have had aluminized on my 70SS for 10 years now (it is driven every nice weekend) and it still looks great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.