Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1964 El Camino
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve sanded the dash with 80 grit and I plan on painting with SPI black epoxy. After that will I need a high build primer before a base coat? What color black is recommended? Then a 2k clear coat?

for 70s chevelles i think SEM brand Landau Black is recommended.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I’ve sanded the dash with 80 grit and I plan on painting with SPI black epoxy. After that will I need a high build primer before a base coat? What color black is recommended? Then a 2k clear coat?

for 70s chevelles i think SEM brand Landau Black is recommended.
Anyone who recommends Landau Black for metal dash parts is being lazy or just repeating bad info. Are you looking for the factory correct look or just something that is aesthetically pleasing? Factory correct would be zero gloss (flat) black...Dupont 4428. SEM Trim Black would actually work decently here. Transtar actually sells a flat trim black that would work better.

Or you could do what most people do & use a semi gloss black. Regardless of what you choose, you don't want to clear over it (unless you use a satin clear) or the dash will reflect too much sun while driving.

·
Registered
1964 El Camino
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Previously it looked like someone painted the dash and dash pad semi gloss black. My neighbor said the same thing about using flat paint because of the sun.
I have a can of spray max 2k hot rod satin black that I was thinking of using then a satin clear coat. The spray nozzles on these are horrible so I may switch it out with a regular canned spray paint nozzle. For future touch up I thought using the canned 2k wouldn’t be too bad of an idea.

I got a little carried away with sanding so I’ll need to use high build primer. The dash pad was installed with clips (not screws as I think it’s supposed to) and glue. After removing the glue I hit it with sanding disc on the angle grinder. In hindsight I should have sanded it by hand with 180 grit.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,319 Posts
Rustoleum sells a Prof. series of black semi gloss spray paint that I used to do a home garage resto 68 steering wheel that looks very good and IMO would look great on a dash, when my car was in the body shop they used Summit Chassis black ( I told them to ) then cleared over but never sanded it so I'm sanding to see what it looks like but might end up using the Pro rustO myself on my dash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts