Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o k
don't know if I'm crazy or not ..
but what would be the draw backs of powder coating all the body parts that bolt on..(cowl/doors/hood/fenders/etc)?
I know the hood if fiber is out.. and power colours are limited..
but colour matching the paint to the power colour.. shouldn't be a problem .. with the dig camera and computer programs the jobbers have now for matching colours that are unknown .
so what would be the downside of doing this...
as I'd think for a car thats driven and worked on (tuning at the track/etc)
this would be a great idea...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Matching The Color, Depending On The Color, May Not Be That Hard, But Blending The Finish Wont Be That Easy. It Will Be Very Hard To Make A Powder Coat And A Paint Finish Match On The Body When They Are Side By Side, Ie: Fender/door To Body. Plus The Cost To Have Someone Prep The Parts Then Powder Then Bake Are Going To Be Up There. If I Was Going To Powder The Body Parts I'd Powder The Whole Car. But The Powder Coat Is Not As Easy To Fix If Does Become Damaged.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
You beter have a dayum straight car if you are going to powder coat because Bondo (tm) will not hold up to the heat and you can't even primer it, You need bare metal.

LK

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the April 2007 (not even March yet) issues of Super Chevy, a body shop use powdercoat as you would epoxy primer. Then did all bodywork over that.
As far as using it as a final paint coat, thats another story. Too many variables and would be more trouble than its worth. My .02 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Powdercoating cures at 400 degrees.
I'm wondering how the body panels would react to that heat...warp???

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
why would you primer anything..
they don't prime parts that are powercoated now.

EXACTLY, I just don't think you could ever get a car body straight enough without at least primer to level it out. I don't care how good a body man you think you have, Everyone uses some sort of filler to get it flat before paint. You can't use primer if it's going to be powdercoated.

LK

·
Registered
44 Posts
Powder coating is great for a lot of parts on your car, unfortunatly, the exterior sheet metal is not a good one. Use powder coating on the frame, core support, inner fenders, control arms, springs, steering parts (not the idler arm or center link- it'll ruin the guts). Basically, anything that can take the 400 degree cure temp. You could do powder as a base primer on the sheetmetal- warping wont be a problem, but color match will be a nightmare and repair work would be tough. Powder has its place and so does paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts