Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a set of '69 bucket seats for my '69. They were originally white but had been painted black. (I can attest that you CAN spray the vinyl and have it look good. I don't know what they used though.)

Anyway, the plastic backs and bottom parts were painted a flat and don't look all that good. What can I use to strip the old paint/dye and what should I use to paint/dye them more like the original. I checked the archives and saw the EasyOff or DOW oven cleaner suggestion. Has anyone tried this.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Lightly scuff them with a "red" scotch-brite pad,then hit 'em with SEM vinyl prep,and then dye them with SEM vinyl dye.You can also paint them with Plasti-kote low gloss black engine enamel.Either way will work-just use the vinyl prep first

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/L78/M21/4.10
1972 Olds 442 convertible(455,W25,M40)
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
"Be aware of the possible ramifications of the potential outcome"
Chris Corwel,the man from the too much taxes and over priced gas state of Connecticut

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 09-17-2000).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just redid a 72 SS dash and kick panels (seat backs are the same material. Heres what I did sprayed parts with "Graffitti remover" once paint was sofened blasted them with the pressure washer,this stripped the old stuff right of w/o harming the part.Then cleaned with soap,prepped with SEM plastic prep then SEM Sand free then painted. Follow directions for SEM products and results will be super

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
Why do the job only once?
I'm usually quicker the third time :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've tried the easy off, and gasket remover and it does not work. I just did my kickpanels and had to strip them, and I used just plain old Lacquer thinner. Did not melt plastic, and cleaned them perfectly.

You want to make sure they are perfectly clean, use the plastic prep stuff and clean repeated times until plastic is perfectly dry and clean.Use a good quality lacquer blend like the SEM stuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've had good luck with oven cleaner as a stripper for hard plastic parts. Before you paint it use SEM15 or a good platic prep to make paint stick. As far as paint use lacquer (pro color) gloss or semi-gloss black.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great suggestions. They go into my file for winter projects. I figure to do the whole interior thing when the weather keeps me off the road.

Biggies on the list:
Bucket seat restoration
Dash cleaning and reconditioning
Fixing minor interior harness oddities

1 - 6 of 6 Posts