Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be ordering a radiator from OPGI soon, and it looks like it'll need to be painted. I have some questions regarding painting it though. Should I prime it? If so what kind of primer? Also, I have Eastwood's radiator black paint; should I just spray it on? I remember trying to paint something else with this (the fan)and I kept getting fisheyes even though I cleaned it real good. Thanks!

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Owner - 1969 Snowco Trailer
Team Chevelle Member #995
"..dreams turn into dust and blow away"- Dionne Warwick (1968)

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Don't prime it! Radiator paint is special paint which allows heat to be disapated readily. By using regular paint (or in this case primer) you will be creating a seal around the metal of the radiator that will retain too much heat in the radiator which kind of defeats the whole purpose, eh?

Just paint the radiator paint directly on the radiator.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You should be able to go ahead and shoot it. But to reduce the fisheyes, hold the can a little further away and spray very light coats for the first two or three coats and let them dry almost to the touch before spraying the next coat. This seems to work for me.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Fish eyes are often the result of silicone (likely overspray from someone using armour-all or such) under the hood...try a silicone remover perhaps. paint: More thin coats are better than less thick coats.

------------------
Ron Cook
'69 SS 300 Deluxe HT
(Bow Tied's 2¢ worth.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Shawn,

I purchased a new radiator years ago. It was allready painted but it sat for years. When I wanted to install it all I did was wash the dirt and oil from it with soap and water.I used the Eastwood radiator black paint with excellent results. It is a real thin paint that goes on great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.