Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been in the process of trying to get my 70 painted, but no one will do it for less thatn 1800. Now there is always macco, but i want a quality job thats gonna last. any suggestions will be helpfull. I wanted to do it my self but i just dont have the space or experience.

J

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am very new to this, but i just spoke to a veteran Chevelle collector who told me that a good paint job will cost 3000 to 5000 dollars. He said you'll get lots of guys to quote less, but if you want quality that will last, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Somebody's been smoking wacky tobacky! There's no way I'd pay 3000 for a paint job. You can get cars that already have good paint jobs on them for 3-5000 so why waste this outlandish sum of money.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
5 Posts
3000 sounds a little steep! Yet 1800 is to good to be true, watch out for guys claiming to be the best yet quoting the job cheaply, you could end up with something you are not happy with.There are alot of variables when doing the body and paint on your baby, that could will drive the price sky high.Using cheap materials will keep the price down,but a year later you may be sorry you went this route.How much work does your car need , just straight paint or does it need quarters or door skins,bottoms of the door sandblasted? It should be stripped to the metal to insure you are not doing all this good work ontop of someone elses old nightmare! This will all determine the price,and your bodyman should not be afraid to tell you up front what he thinks it needs and why it needs it.I would say, shop around and do your home work.The guys that gave you quotes,have you seen other older cars they have done and talked to their owners to see how well it looked after a year or two.You should be looking for a shop that is going to be patient with you and your car,and that is going to take owner ship for the work they do! A job that they are going to be able to be proud of ,and that future would be customers can guage their work upon.As for tying it yourself, you really need a garage and the proper tools. Take it from a guy that learnd to do body work on his own,it can be THE MOST FRUSTATING experience ever!

·
Registered
636 Posts
As foar as $3000 goes for a paint job, that is not out of line if you have them do the prep work. And as for Maaco, their paint jobs are good for stuff like fleet vehicles and work trucks, but not for a classic car. We have Maaco paint all of our trucks at work, and when they did mine it cost $329, and all they did was wash the truck, scuff teh old paint, and shoot a cheap coat of Laquer on it and send it out the door. They mask off everything, in other words they dont do any disassembly. And they dont do a very good job of masking. But for my work truck it looks a hell of alot better than it did, and the price was right. Mat

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey, Mike, I was toying with selling wacky tobaccy as a side cause paint jobs ain't cheap!

All kidding aside, I got a 4G quote from one of the best around. And a 3.5G from a kid that's real good and just starting out. I'm having a hard time to find anyone to do the work. For pros, insurance collision is just lucrative.

I'm trying to find someone good who does it for a side. I'd gladly pay $2500 for good work. ( includes prep ).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
MINE IS CURRENTLY AT MAACO so i can tell you that THEY ARE PISSING ME OFF but i am getting it done for $1300 jams trunk and complete color change w/stripes all trim removed and all dings repaired they did a corvette for me a few years back and it was a great job (i know the difference i buy and sell cars and know a cheapy job when i see one) but this time it's been almost 5 weeks and it's still not done but as for the quality they will do good if you pay em for it. they do cheapie jobs but if you offer them more than the estimate and thell them you want a "GOOD" job not a quickie one then they know how to do it, (they just don't if you only pay em $300) should be out by wednesday of this week (he said monday so im guessing a couple more days) and i will post pictures of it 99GM pewter metalic/w black stripes boy it looks cool. jk

------------------
Current picture of car in paint shop members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle2.jpg John Krenn
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
77 Posts
About two years ago my father had his 67 repainted and it cost him 4k and some change. Keep in mind the car was delivered with no trim, bumpers, emblems or moulding. They did all prep work, uncluding rear window panel replacment, a few dings, dents and some waveyness on the hood. They also replaced a small portion of the hood which the previous owner spilled some kind of highly corrosive chemical on and ate through it. It was delivered to the shop with no interior except one bucket seat and the steering wheel (no dash, seats, carpet, etc etc) He had EVERY inch of the car painted inside and out, two coats of marina blue and two coats of half marina half hard clear. Then a black racing stripe was put up the middle of the hood between the SS lumps all the way to the edge of the trunk. It was color sanded and buffed. This was more of a cool cruiser paint job rather than show quality, it looked good from afar and up close but not quite show material. The paint still looks the same as the day he brought it home and IMHO was well worth the money. Keep in mind 99% of the timeyou get what you pay for.

Good Luck

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Here in ohio i paid 4000k for my 67ss.That included takeing body of frame(i did frame and motor)total striped with light body work and painted black basecoat clearcoat.It has taken many best paint awards .

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just had Maaco paint my 65 chevelle mist blue with no bodywork at all and i'm not very happy at all! I tried the "Ill pay extra for a quality job" but they don't know the meaning of the word.My son had his 80 el camino blocked and painted for $2000 it's so bad he doesn't want to even drive it!NEVER AGAIN!

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold

[This message has been edited by 65ss (edited 08-21-99).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't always get what you pay for, but it's even more rare to get much more than you paid for. If you're paying big bucks ask to see examples of their work/get references. Remember, this is serious, it's your CAR.

Rickster
67 SS 396/325
TC Gold 257

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The cost is in the prep work although materials arent cheap any more. Once the body work is complete It takes a lot of time to block sand a car body. Do your ownd prep,40 to 100 hrs big savings $$$$. Talk to someone at the automative paint supply they will know someone who moonlghts. He will the use of a spray booth probably rents it on the weekend. The painters at Maco, paint all day long they know how to put on paint there is no real prep work done.

Every brand of paint goes on different if you hook up with someone through a paint dealer make sure his friend uses the brand of paint you are interested in.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do the math! Add up all the times to R&I (remove and replace) all the trim, fenders, hood, doors, weatherstrips, mouldings, glass,trunk, bumpers, etc. Multiply that times the labor rate the shop charges and see how much that is. This figure does not include any repair work or materials.It also does not include removing the previous paint jobs. Plastic media blasting could range from $500 to $1000 depending where you are located. It also takes longer assembling and detailing then the book time allows you.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Masterwoo, my 67 sounds very similar to your dad's. I was hoping, around here anyway, that if I spent 4 n change, I would get something very close to show, if not show. There are regional differences though, and I don't live in a high dollar area.

I would'nt spend 1500 on a paint job. My material cost ( PPG Blueblood red, etc ) is close to a G.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.