Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to repaint my black and yellow Calif license plates. I will use POR-15 high gloss for the black. Does anyone know where to get the correct yellow paint. or due you have to have it mixed.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Krylon's "School Bus Yellow" is pretty darn close. I don't know the can # but me and 3 friends went 4 way on a can to get ours done. My 64 came out pretty shody and needed to be redone but the ones on my buddys 69 Chevelle and my other friends 64 1/2 ton came out REAL good. The 63 Nova SS is yet to be done.(the can is sitting on the shelf.
BTW- We found it at the local HomeDepot and I think it was the 'hard hat' mix or something. (white can with a bright yellow hard hat on it)

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it legal to repaint lisence plates? I have some vague recollection of a body shop refusing to touch up the paint on the licence plate when my dad's truck got smashed up (this was in CA).

Anyway I don't live in CA anymore but I'm interested in the painting. My wife bought me a 65 North Carolina plate for $2 at an antique store a while back. It is yellow on black, just like the CA plates which now hang on my wall. It has the year painted in yellow too. I met a guy with this style plate on his late 50s caddy the other day. Apparently in NC you can put the original year plate on your car if it is at least 35 years old. No restrictions, you just pay a few bucks and keep your regular plate and stickers inside the car. I think I'm gonna do this next year, but I'd like to fix up the paint on the plate. Masking seems like a real pain. I wonder how they were done originally... Carl

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Carl-
To be honest, I really don't know if it is legal or not, but people do do it. I've actually seen people at car shows before CA changed to a script California and below "A state for 150 years" when it had the standard CALIFORNIA(just like the B and Y's but Blue and White instead) they stripped the blue and white and painted them black and yellow for "nastolgic reasons."

I think where I screwed up is I didn't follow the kindergarten rule of light before dark and painted black first. It is much easier to paint the whole thing yellow(wait a day or two for the yellow to completely dry) then put wide masking tape over the Numbers and letters and trace the outside of the letters with a utility knife then spray the whole thing black, a couple days later peel off the tape on the numbers and it looks very good!
Hope this helps!

I'm with Carl, does anyone know how they're done originally?

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 08-09-99).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I purchased a set of CA personalized plates (RPO ZK7) about 10 years ago (back when the "CALIFORNIA" was imprinted on the plate and not stenciled.) The plates came from DMV with blue letters on a white background.

I sent the plates to Darryl's in PA and had them paint the plates black and yellow the way the would have been painted back in 1968. Darryl's did an abolutely perfect job. (Check under "Services Offered" in Hemmings for info on Darryl's. They're listed every month.) The cost was $60, which was well worth it because I don't have the patience for that type of work.

After I put the plates on the car, I was promptly pulled over by a CHP. He noticed the plates wanted to know where I had the them restored. He had similar plans for a 65 Mustang he was restoring. In a total of 10 years, I had about a half dozen cops comment on the plates. All of them said that it was technically illegal, but none of them cared.

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.