Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to keep this as short and concise as possible. I've had my 68 Chevelle done for about 10 years now. I decided I wanted to freshen the paint up due to little nicks and scratches as I'm fairly picky. Found a local painter through word of mouth and his work looked very good from what I could see. He has just recently done a 65 Chevelle Convertible and 69 Camaro.

We agreed on a price of $4500 for basically a scuff and shoot with very little body work to fix maybe a few nicks and dings. I was happy with the price and his communication throughout the process. He finished the car in about 6 weeks and I was ecstatic that I finally found a reasonable painter that did not hold my car in paint prison for a year. I just want to reiterate my car was very nice to start with and some would even say silly to have repainted but, it had its share of chips and scratches.

Well, I picked the car up about a week ago and it was raining. From what I could tell it initially looked great with a few minor issues. I got the car to my shop, wiped it down and left out of town for work. I got back from out of town yesterday and since it was a nice day out, I pulled the car out to give it a once over. I instantly felt sick to my stomach once I started looking the car over in the sun. There are blemishes on almost every panel. There is fish eye all throughout the paint job. There is also dirt specs that were color sanded out but, still present. The worst part is you can see some sanding marks that bled through the paint. There is also what looks like shrinkage or cracking under the clear in certain areas. Its almost like the filler used to fix little dings shrank after the paint was laid down. I'm not a painter but, I've had numerous cars painted over the years and this one has some really bad issues. It looks great from 5 feet away or on a cloudy, rainy day but, in the sun the issues are significant.

My question is where do I go with this? Do I ask the painter if he can correct these issues? I'm even willing to pay him a little more to fix the areas that are bad which is pretty much everywhere except for one door, one quarter panel, and roof. My concern is this may be the best he could do and I'm not sure how to bring that up without being offensive to the guy. Is my only option just sucking it up and finding another painter?

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,147 Posts
Sorry to hear this it makes my stomach sick and it's not my car.
The dude is pretty much a thief and could care less about his reputation
only getting your money. Show him your displeased and see what happens.
I sure would not give him the car back if it's that bad.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow up on the subject. I spoke with the painter and he seemed apologetic. He wants to block the car and respray it again. Says he wants to make it right and that he was battling issues with fish eye and dirt. I'm hoping second time is a charm on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts