Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a painless wiring kit for my 68 chevelle. I plan on running power windows, truck and stuff later. I was going to go with ron francis, but by the time i got everything I wanted to add it was well over 600 bucks.I am running a 350 sbc with 9:1 compression, hypereutetic pistons, a 260h comp cam, 2 1/2 dual exhaust with 40 series delta flowmaster mufflers, hei distributor with accel module and super coil. I have just got done rebuliding the front end with polygraphite bushings from pst and kyb shocks. I have also converted the drum brakes to disc using a 69 elky donor car. Anyways, now comes the part where I am scared to death. I hate wiring with a passion, almost as bad as I do body work. Is there anyone out there has done a painless wiring kit. Is it as bad as it sounds? Open to suggestions. I am also putting in a set of autometer gauges. speedo,water,oil,volt,and fuel...any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have never done a painless kit, but I rewired my car with a reproduction factory harness. I used the service manual's wiring diagram and found just one error in the repros harness (they had the rear turn signal wires reversed). Be very organized and take it one component at a time. I think the painless kit's wires are all labelled so if you take your time you will be fine. A good multimeter or at least a test light is a must; have some spare light bulbs around and some spare fuses. When I wired my car, I spent an hour chasing a bad circuit before I realized that a bulb was dead. Remember you can always come here for great answers to your questions if you get in trouble.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, Disc brakes, F41 suspension,
GM Performance Parts 350/330hp crate engine with serpentine belt. Electric cooling fans, 700R4trans, Sanderson headers, Flowmaster exhaust, factory air with Vintage Air conversion, tilt wheel. http://chevelles.com/showroom/JimN/Maliburearview0006.jpg
Engine pic: http://chevelles.com/showroom/JimN/engine2.JPG

[This message has been edited by JimN (edited 01-23-2003).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rewired my 65 Chevelle with a Painless 21 circuit universal kit a while ago. I did not find it to be hard at all. It does help to have the original wiring diagram for in order to hook up gauges, etc. IAmazingly When I was done, I had wired everything correct. So from my experience, it was not painfull.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just makes me nervous I guess. I'm sure everything will go together ok. I just need reassurance lol. My first project car, and have seen severeal burn up because of wiring. Don't want to make the same mistakes.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Make sure you spend lots of time with the wire routing and use lots of tie-wraps and other wire protection and holding means. Use good heatshrink on any connections and even use little pieces on the ends of wires where you crimp on terminals.

The other place to spend lots of time is in the terminations. Make sure to use the proper crimp tools and not some cheap thing. Otherwise, solder all of the connections. If you solder, it becomes very important to heatshrink over it since the solder makes a stress point in the wiring.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
You sure all that stuff you described won't have an affect on the wiring harness?

Just take your time and be patient. The hard part is.......being patient, that's what I have come to learn already, and i've only been working on my car for about 4 months now, and it's not out of the body shop yet. I think you will be ok with that kit, my buddy used one to rewire his 71, I wasn't there, but he didn't mention anything unusual about it. Got any pic's of the car?

------------------
Wallace L. Allen
SSgt USMC
Proud owner of a
1971 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
Zinc Yellow w/Black Stripes (soon to be painted)
Weld Pro Stars
BF Goodrich T/A

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Br0ken_Soul - I emailed you a 24K file of my experience with Painless. It is real ugly reading but in the end I would use their harness again.

------------------
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...

68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28, less than 15,000 miles on it!

Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts