Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the painless muscle car wiring kit 18 circuit. i am trying to install it in my 72 malibu but i cant figure out the dash wiring because i dont have gauges in my car just the idiot lights. Will the wires supplied in the kit work with what i have or do i need to some how use my old dash wiring harness. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm thinking that, even if the wire says "Oil Pressure Gauge", use it as a feed to an idiot-light. As long as you have the correct senders, what the wire actually carries is not important. (Read "gauge", think "idiot-light") I'm not familar with non-SS gauge dash connectors, so you may have to canibalize the old connector(s) or splice into your old harness (if you still have it).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i cut the old harness and got the idiot light wiring out i notice that some of the lights have 3 wires example each turn indicator has 2 blue in one and one black plugged in, my kit only comes with one wire for each i understand i have to provide a ground but do i need two wires for the power side. Also one more ? on a 72 malibu swept dash what is the idiot light right beside the brake warning light opposite side of the left turn indicator mine is blacked out and i cant tell if it is supposed to be something or if it is just for dash lighting.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm not sure if you are talking about the dash turn indicators or the turn signals housings on the fenders. I'm not familiar with the sweep gauge dash, so I can't help you there - sorry. The turn signal housings (on fender) probabily have an additional wire for parking lights (or running lights) you might have a two-filament lamp up front - like a brade/tail light out back. I haven't gotten that far into my Painless harness yet to tell for sure if there is a "parking light wire" - should be labeled if it is there.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The turn signal indicating light has two wires because, in factory harness, the power from the column/signal switch is routed to the indicating light then from the light to the bulk head connector and on to the front signal light. If the painless harness has one wire for the front signal light and a separate wire for the signal indicator then all you need is one of the two wires (light blue - left, dark blue - right) the black is the ground lead. It along with black wires from the glove box light, the cig lighter, the heat control head light, fuel gauge, cluster lamps, high beam lamp, the other turn signal indicating lamp and the wiper switch all are connected together and attached to a good ground.

The light next to the brake warning light is for the auto trans gear indicator "PRNDL" it and any other gray wire are part of the dash lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts