Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the box hooked up to the my pro billet, and I have the orange wire on the + side of the coil and the black wire in the same bundle on the - of the coil, as per MSDs instructions. Also the purple/white tach wire (in the painless kit) is hooked up to the Tach terminal on my 6al NOT the - side of the coil.

Here is my question: The painless kit has a pink wire that leads from the fues block to the + coil labeled "ignition hot". Since the 6al is already hooked up to the coil is this wire connected directly to the 12v Red wire on the 6al? or does this Pink "ignition hot" wire still go to the coil? I think I have the install down on the box I just didnt know what keyed ignition source or wire to hook the box to. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm not positive( no pun intended) but I believe the "pink" wire in the Painless kit is the "resistor" wire (less than 12v)for a points type ignition. I did NOT use this wire on my set-up. I ran a 10ga wire directly from the battery to the hot lead on the 6AL
I'm sure somebody will confirm or deny this...lol

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes the pink "ignition hot" wire connects to the red "switched ignition" lead of the MSD box.

The pink wire may be a resistor wire but there is no load on that input. The switched ignition connection is used for switching the MSD on/off only. Resistor wire or not makes no difference. The heavy red and black wires that connect to the battery provide the power for the ignition system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts