Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to know why theres only 10 wires from my 18 circuit dash hook up when original comes with 12? 1972 ss with gauges.Could not get a right answer from Painless.Any help would be great.Also if you could tell me the proper color to number to get me on the road.
Thanks,Toolmaker.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Two things that come to mind is the painless harness doesn't support the factory amp gauge, it's set up to support a volt gauge, and does it have a tach hookup? That would account for the two wires. This may help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Elree.But could you explain some of the hook ups that require new or extra wires from your elect block.Jumpers?
Thanks again Im getting closer to the truth.
Ps I have hei ignition which seam to be suportive by Painless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had to up date this post. was gone fishing. im back again to tackle my problems.Elree if you dont mind answering my last post that would be a big help.still trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The information I directed you to is for rewiring a light cluster to a gauge cluster. The following may make it clearer. Connections 3 and 4 are for the amp gauge the painless harness does not support the factory amp gauge. 1 and 12 have two wires you only need one.

1- Light blue - Left turn signal indication light.
2- Gray - Dash lights.
3- Black/white. For amp gauge
4- Black. For amp gauge
5- Light green - High beam indicating light.
6- Dark blue - Oil pressure indicating light. (from oil pressure switch)
7- Pink - Power to indicating lights and gauges.
8- Tan - Brake warning light. (from park brake switch and brake distribution block switch)
9- Brown - Tach signal. (from coil -)
10- Temp Gauge. (from temp sender)
11- Tan - Fuel gauge. (from tank sender)
12- Dark blue - Right signal indicating light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Elree, things are getting clearer. I do have a few more questions Though.2 of the wires going to the dash block, from Painless, are a generator light wire,volt meter wire. Im I not using those 2 wires at all? I also see my Tachometer wire comming from the tach side of my HEI but not going to my dash harness. Do I run that wire (tach) to the dash block using the dash clips? I also need to know how to hook up the amp gauge. I have 1 wire high output Alternator.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
"2 of the wires going to the dash block, from Painless, are a generator light wire,volt meter wire. Im I not using those 2 wires at all?"

You can have the amp gauge converted to a volt gauge, e-mail for info, you will then use the volt gauge wire, otherwise you will not use either of the two wires.

"I also see my Tachometer wire comming from the tach side of my HEI but not going to my dash harness. Do I run that wire (tach) to the dash block using the dash clips?"

That wire will connect to #9 - tach signal.

"also need to know how to hook up the amp gauge."

I'm not familiar enough with the painless harness to make a recommendation for connection locations. I just know that the harness is not designed to accommodate the factory amp gauge.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Originally posted by Toolmaker:
had to up date this post. was gone fishing. im back again to tackle my problems.Elree if you dont mind answering my last post that would be a big help.still trying to figure it out.
Hee hee,back from fishin to your "tackle" your problems ...sorry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts