Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son recently bought a 67 chevelle. The body is real solid. Drivers floor pan has been replaced. It has all the SS emblems ss 396 fender emblems and ss hood. Paint job is fair to not so fair. Back seat is out of some kind of olds and door panels also. Front seats are buckets but I don't know what from. It needs a whole interior. It has a 327 and not the original 396. It was a bench seat car with auto on column and now is a 4 -speed. Although the seller told him it was a SS I now find out that it is a malibu. The trim on the chrome where all the switches are is wood grain not black like I believe it should be with a SS. The car is very fixable or let's say cloneable. He gave a little over 3 grand. I think he got taken big time. Poor kid took all the money he saved working summers. Any opinions or comments. thanks and what a great site. Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steve,
Does your son like the car? Perhaps this is the most important question. SS or not, he has a good car which has potential to be a great car and certainly something for him to enjoy. So it's not mint, more chance for him to learn certain skills and a great way to keep him out of trouble. Keep in mind this $3000 he spent could be a "FATHER AND SON" project he'll cherish for a long time to come. The money may seem a bit high to you, but when looking at the overall picture...?
Just my thoughts..
warren..

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
after i bought my 70 and sunk a bunch of $ in it i keep seeing lots of already done cars for the same i have in mine now but i still need 3-4k$ to get it where i want it, but i realized "i like this car" and when im done it will be the way i like it and not someone else's car. after the fact is a little too late but if he likes the car ,he will love it when yall are done

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well here is my 4 cents. If he likes the car as in body style and such why not both work on it (father son resto) there are tons of ss clones out there so if you want a clone go for it, since you already have emblems and stuff. Sell the door panals for whatever you can and buy some chevelle panels. He might not care if it isn't a show car but that means it will be driven not a trailler gueen. I don't think he was screwed on the deal...

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/ Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made

[This message has been edited by 66 bowtie (edited 10-09-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
slime
sound like a good deal,dont be so quick to call it a malibu!I have a 67 ss 396,guess what,It to has a woodgrain dash,every part of this car,I mean every part says orig ss.what is your vin number? my car had the factory blinker tach bracket still on the dash,look for the extra frame peices on the frame near the rear diff.please slime,get your vin number and post it back,like to see if my car and your sons were built at same plant,and close to each other in production.
my vin reads-13817(< ss code)7B105241,maryland plant.
your vin # should be in the front of drivers side door jam,and on the firewall on a tag up towards the cowl on the drivers side,you see, as a team chevelle member pointed out to me,they may have run out of the ss dash panels that day,and installed woodgrain,production was different back in 67,may have been left to pass
please post back or e-mail me!
67rat member #199
OH YEA,GREAT CHOICE OF CARS,67S RULE!

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 10-09-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Good 66-67 chevelles that arent rust buckets are getting hard to find, so I wouldnt say he got ripped off at all...

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what the number is on the door post.
138177Z153037. Here is how the tag under the hood looks.

06C

ST 67-13817 BF06913
TR 723 CC

63614 170563
Thanks a bunch guys this site has been a REAL help to us. Slime

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
slime
your vin number says ss 2 door coupe(13817)
next # 7 means 67
z means fremont,california plant
last 6 means 53,036 th unit built in that plant
cowl code 723 means medium blue interior
and the cc code means-provincial white paint
slime,sound like a ss,if so your son got a good buy indeed,I would ckeck into this more deeply,you know the ss thing.now let me tell you,you and your son put this baby back to white with blue interior,that will be one pretty car!well slime glad I could help!good day sir----------67Rat member #199

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
slime
you should join team chevelle,good members area.this site is a good tool,help alot on a restoration.your right,this is a great site,learned a lot,and helped a few.
mr.al sure did put up a good site.--67Rat

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I agree 3000 for a 67 chevelle is good,If it would turn out to be a ss,in any shape or form,I would say slimes boy got it at a steal!Iv seen hammered shells for 3000 bucks------67Rat member #199

·
Registered
740 Posts
When i bought my 68 i wasn't looking for a SS and i come to find out today that i don't have a 327 but a 307 so i feel gipped i was going to sell the engine andp ut forth to the new engine. but i found out its a #'s matching car. If hel ikes the car go with it but if he wants some speed he could find a big block again and drop it in there but you said he spent all his money but 67's are a lot harder to find then the 68-72 velles and are becomming worth more money. I wouldn't go as so far as saying he got gipped becuase as 67RAT said its a real SS just not a SS motor

·
Registered
151 Posts
Slime Here's my 2 1/2cents I need the rest for my resto. It sounds like your son found a good deal,look at it this way, your son spent money on something he felt was worth while,That says a lot in its self. some good values instilled. Especially when I see what some kids spend their money on!! good luck to your son.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Doesnt sound like too bad of a deal to me, sounds about right for a 67 Malibu with a 327 and 4speed in that condition. As long as it is the car your son wanted and likes than who cares.

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Los Angeles CA
Team Chevelle Member #80
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey Slime and 67RAT
My 67SS has the woodgrain dash for the air duct too.I was going to paint it semi gloss black but I think I leave that alone now.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
im with mr409...i have no idea what the going rate is but the boys seem to think you did ok....if your son likes this car and is gonna drive it, all the more valuable...the safety margin of having your son shrouded in 3800 lbs of steel instead of 2200 lbs of plastic make it worth 3 k

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am compelled to congratulate every person that responded to this post! If there is one thing that seems to be lacking in the world today, it's a true concern for your fellow man. You have all proven that, that still exists......and then some! This is just one of the "fringe" benefits of loving classic cars like we all do. It brings people who otherwise might be strangers together. This site amazes me more and more every day. Slime, I hope all 3 of my sons want to save their money to buy a classic car instead of getting steered into some of the terrible things that are out there today........just my thoughts on it all.

--Jerry--

·
Registered
313 Posts
Given the VIN numbers he posted, sounds like the real deal to me. I've seen SB Malibus barely worth looking at where the guy wants $3000 to $5000. Think of it this way. I bet half the people on this site would buy it off of you for $3000. That is a great color combination.

Look for two things that will probably verify it is a SS. Is the fuel line 3/8ths vs. 5/16? Also are the SS frame braces in place? Look like they've been there 30 yrs? If you have a drill bit set, get the two bits sized 5/16 and 3/8 and compare them to the fuel line running through the frame. Easy to tell. The braces are from the point where the upper control arms connect to the frame to where the lower control arms connect to the frame.
jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 10-10-99).]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.