Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 SS has these padded or cushioned posts with color coded red vynal but my two previous 69 Malibu's had stamped steel pillar posts that were painted black.
Was there a 'Deluxe Interior' option or were the previous Malibu's aftermarket? Or were the cushioned pillars an SS only item? Theres got to be a story behind this...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any info. on this?

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Lou, I have 2 69s. My Malibu has padded pillars and my SS car has stamped metal. Originally my malibu's were light green, now they are black.

There are other changes in some cars too. On some the trim strip that goes from the windshield to the rear window is plastic. Both of mine are metal.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
Bob, On the headliner trim strips that go from WS to rear window, my small survey showed Malibus (and Malibu-based SS's) got the metal strips and 300 Deluxes got the vinyl strips. Mine had the vinyl. Malibus and 300 Deluxes also had a slightly different pattern in the headliner too. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on the A pillar (padded vs plain) covers though. Mine has plain black. I'm wondering if maybe colors other than black were all padded and black were not. Anyone got black padded or non-black plain?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have heard rumors that it was a safety issue with the padded and non-padded. Does anyone have a 70 that has the orignal pillar posts? If someone has an original padded set in a 70 that throws that arguement out the window.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My 70 Malibu has metal pillar post covers and vinyl trim on each side of the headliner, as well as across the top of the windshield. My wife's 70 Malibu was the same. Both cars had black vinyl interiors. The cars were purchased new by us...her's being built in Baltimore in February, and mine built in Arlington the third week of June.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Originally posted by von:
...Anyone got black padded or non-black plain?
Von,
My elky had padded black ones. For sure the original ones, too. Rusted to death from leaks. It's a Custom El Camino.....equal to the Malibu trim level from the KC plant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts