Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the metal shelf the package tray sits on in my 64 coupe, someone cut holes for stereo speakers. Now I'm trying to find an acceptable package tray for the rear deck. Should I use the cardboard one, cut holes for the speakers, and cover the holes with a speaker grill. Or will the mesh package tray do the trick? Does the mesh tray have a cutout for the one (stock) center speaker or is it wide open?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ed,
The answer depends on the look or function you want. If you want an original/stock look you should go with cardboard with one center rear speaker cut out and cover it with the black retangular speaker cover. Year One has the stock speaker covers. Otherwise you can get the mesh package tray from OPG, others may also carry them. They have them for single or dual speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering about this also. Does anyone have pictures of the mesh package tray in the car?

Thanks
Dwain

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with the standard package tray, making cutouts for the speakers, and then using a grille that matches the deck color, with maybe a little silver trim depending on the grille design.

Based upon what I've seen in the catalogs, it looks like the mesh 64 tray is already drilled for a center speaker. A call to OPGI also confirmed it. Don't think I'll be able to cover that up and drill new holes for the 2 speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts