Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my SBC 350. I will be doing the fancy new cam (XE262) break in with Delco 400, GM EOS and Cam Lube. I noticed while reading my Hanes manual they say to pack the gears in the oil pick up with vasoline during reassembly. Is this really the best idea? Is it good to mix vasoline with all these hi dollar components during breakin? What have you guys done in the past?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Prime it with an oil pump primer....I always open my oil pump up and check clearances. and while it is apart add a little oil and spin the gears ..Put it back together , then do the above PRIME. and turn the engine 1/4 turn at a time till oil comes out of the rocker arms

I will run the drill then stop run stop...

·
Registered
458 Posts
seems your doing a complete rebuild your going to prime the system before start up i don't see where packing the oil pump is necessary also are you using a high volume pump vs high pressure? the high volume will be less power robbing. im sure every one has an opinion as to whether or not to use the vaseline but like i say i would just use an oil pump primer good luck and have fun with that new motor :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have used the vasoline trick before....but on my last motor i just got a drill and primed it that way

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
It MAY be of some benefit to use the Vasoline, BUUUUUUUUUUT, the oil pump pickup AND pump are completely immersed in oil down in the oil pan (there will be 4-5qts, depending on your pan, in the sump, that's at least a gal of oil). Thus, the gears inside of the pump are already coated with whatever oil will be circulating through the oil system. So, I see ZERO benefit to using Vasoline---------------or anything else! :confused:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
some of the guys are doing that on the new ls motors to try and get them to prime, but the pump isnt sitting in oil-i never have done anything on the gen 1's, since as said, they already sit in oil

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
If you have a Big Block Chrysler engine----pretty essential to use the vaseline.
(external oil pump in front-----sump in rear)

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I usually fill the oil pump with oil at point of install just for the heck of it, then prime with a priming tool....I used to pack them with vasoline back in the day, but not in a LOOOOOOONG time..

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
I completely agree with the use of Vasoline for pumps that are not immersed in oil. But on your basic Chevy engine (BB or SB), there is just no need. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.