Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, this project just keeps on snowballing.

While I'm at rebuilding the engine and trans, replacing the heater core and cleaning up the firewall, refurbishing the console and having the gauges calibrated, it seems like a good idea to also rebuild the power steering pump.

Are there any kits available? Any special tools needed? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks. Progress pics are in the link below.

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Registered
543 Posts
power steering pump: you will get a kit with the o-rings and seals, you have to do it on the workbench. replace the pressure hoses-- There are people who provide rebuilt pumps, pressure lines and rebuilt steering boxes (as a unit) which might be your best route. That Impala reminds me a lot of my Grandad's 396 Caprice Custom. It had the console w/gauges and tilt/telescoping wheel, with slider am/fm radio, same hubcaps. Think it had a/c

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks leeds.

Don't think I need a steering box rebuild and the high pressure hose was replaced just before I aquired the car.

Are the kits a auto parts store item or do I need to go someplace more specialized?

Thanks....

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Autozone carries the pump unit you need. Is about $40 or so for the kit. Comes with all new seals/O rings and a nut for the pulley. Is a very easy swap job, will need an impact wrench and a pulley puller is about it, but Azone also has those you can use in the store or rent for use at home.

·
Registered
290 Posts
KD Tools make a power steering & alternator pulley puller if you need one. KD Tools Part No. 2897

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.