Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day I snapped a belt ( for the water pump) on my 350
didn't notice (believe it or not),
till I'm pulling out of my apt. complex and notice my eng temp is All in the red so I creep a u turn back into my lot and shut it off.

Since then it seems to be running warm
(sometime half way) and a little rough . All the fluids are clean
and nothing super obviuos except above .

could this be part the 100+ weather and a bit of paranoia ? or did I damage something ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are the lifters rattling? First thing on a dead cold engine, pull the plugs,you can start with 3-5 and 4-6. Check for rust, water droplets. If you cracked a head/s the center 4 are most likley to go but check them all. If OK then start engine and let it warm up, then check them again. If theres water/coolant in there you'll be able to tell. What casting number are the heads? 624s and 882s will not stand an overheat.
Also Carefully! remove the radiator cap and check for little bubbles. If you cracked something the bubbles will show after the coolant flow has stableized.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey xllr8,
If you're really worried take it to a good radiator shop, and ask for a block check test (some call it a sniffer" test). This is a test that checks for the presence of cumbustion gases in the coolant. If you damaged a gasket or casting it will show up during this test. Hope it turns out well. mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 08-28-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.