Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just caught an episode of Overhaulin, haven't seen it for a while. So they dont "Steal" cars anymore huh? They invite the mark over only to tell them they're going to be overhauled. Now I know that the obvious reasons are because they do impersonate police and make people think they're car is stolen, chances of lawsuits, etc. etc. So which reason was it?:(

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Just caught an episode of Overhaulin, haven't seen it for a while. So they dont "Steal" cars anymore huh? They invite the mark over only to tell them they're going to be overhauled. Now I know that the obvious reasons are because they do impersonate police and make people think they're car is stolen, chances of lawsuits, etc. etc. So which reason was it?:(
maybe the whole schtick was getting old.

Or perhaps they had a guy go ballistic on them. Who konws.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I would think the reason would be not to waste time and money doing all the extra work. I hated that part of the show any ways was kinda a waste of time thanks god for the recorder so I could just fast forward all the junk.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I really don't know how they pretend steal the cars and the "marks" really thinking the car was gone. If I came home and my Chevelle was not in the garage where it is supposed to be I'd be on the phone with the Police and Insurance company at the same time with .2 seconds.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I would think the reason would be not to waste time and money doing all the extra work. I hated that part of the show any ways was kinda a waste of time thanks god for the recorder so I could just fast forward all the junk.
Plus they do crappy work - just look at that beater hood they did for you ROTLFL

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I think they're just using the Extreme Home Makeover formula. It's plain, simple and still gets the positive emotions while eliminating the bad from the poor practical joke aspect. If someone stole my car, I'd be sick and stressed out to the max, especially if they were messin with me.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I agree with the parts of that show that are tricking the mark. I find those parts boring. Let me tell you, I havent been able to look at this show the same way I did before I had my El Camino stolen (03). I just found myself tuning in for the last few minutes just to see the finished product then going back to whatever else I was doing. I would bet it was getting too difficult to try pulling this off with the popularity of the show, heaven forbid they would ever travel to other cities more then once or twice. Plus the fact that im sure trying to deal with authorities and insurance companys in the So Cal area was becomming quite a challenge too.

Glad to see they ditched that stolen car act. I personally miss the show Rides. Wonder what will happen to American Hot Rod now that Boyd passed?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
what about from wrecks to riches?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I like the finished product ......... I've seen a couple in person :thumbsup:

But like others have said I'd go over the edge with worry & anger if I thought for one minute it had been stolen !!!

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
all I know... is if they "FOOSED" one of my cars, they'd be talking to my attorney :yes:
if they ever "Foosed" any of my cars, i'd be the angry guy that would tell them to put the car back the way it was and give me back all the parts they took off, so that I can build MY car the way I want it built and when I want to build it.. then, when they tried to tell me i had to sign some stupid release to get back MY car-that they took and worked on without my permission- and agree to allow them to use it for their ad campaigns or whatever.. .well, all i'll say is that i'd be leaving with the car, and i wouldn't be signing a damn thing. then i'd be calling a lawyer to get them to pony up for emotional distress and to pay the taxes that would be assessed on my suddenly valuable car. then, once it was all said and done, i'd put all the bling bling wheels and the GM crate motor on ebay and post a video on YouTube of what a 'tv" car looks like getting the snot beat out of it in a cow pasture....
and the sad part of it all is that after all that, the car would still be worth a ton of money because Chip Foose worked on it and it was on tv, so i could ebay it and buy a new project car from one of those square states in the desert where cars don't rust away..

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
A co-worker of mine always needles me about having my car Overhauled. I keep telling him the same thing every time, if someone " stole " my '69 and did what Foose does, I would personally hunt down every last person involved...and you can figure out the rest.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Maybe its just me...but if Foose to my car, It would make my year, or decade. My car is sitting in my garage with 300K+ Miles on the motor, trans, and rear end. Holes in the quartes, torn seats...etc..... Hell, If I wasn't happy with the outcome.. I could sell it and buy two of something.

I've hinted for years for someone to send in photos and get me overhauled.....

Big D

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I think it's good to get the owner involved. Some of us don't want 22" wheels and wild graphics on our muscle cars. If they let the owner tell them the colors, horse power, interior, and choice of rims I think everybody would be happy. You can see in the reactions to their new build that they aren't all that please sometimes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
there is a jesse james car from the barret jackson sale at the shop next door to mine, a green 67 impala low rider. i would be embarrassed to have my name on this car it is a hack job pos.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It's a family member that contacted the show in the first place and then signed a waiver and took responsibility of the outcome. You'd be hunting down your wife or brother ;)

I will definately miss seeing Chip in those funky get ups acting like a goof. Funny as hell right there :D

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
No one could get on overhaulin unless you lived in so cal.
That part sucked.

My brother tried to get my 65 on there only to be shunned from there since I was in Idaho.

Foose is a good builder but his producers suck big time.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
for those that think they'd kill foose or what ever, your talking crap.

first, unless your car was historical, or very rare, why be pissed?

second, if you've ever seen his stuff up close, even if it's not your preference, they are finished to top quality (i've seen all of them, and even the ones i didn't like were worth 10 x's what they started at).

third, if your car is on the show, it was because a family member was trying to do something nice for you, so again, looking a gift horse in the mouth at the expense of a loved ones feelings.....

so, if foose stole your ride, and foosed it, you could sell it for many times what it was originally worth (with plenty of people lined up to throw $ at you), then buy something several levels above what he stole or have the $ to finish a car the way you always wanted, doing you a favor on many levels, so instead of killing a guy doing you a favor, how about hunting down somebody who actually deserves an ass kickin. sheeeesh what a bunch of hard asses.....

when opra gave away those pontiacs, people bitched because they had to pay the taxes on it, well... you can give me cars all day, if all i have to do is pay the taxes, you want to kick the ass of a guy who just made your ride go from a 10k roller to a 60k show car? puhleeeeeze....

·
Registered
937 Posts
I didn't read all the posts, but let me say this...I quite watching overhaulin' the day they started overhauling cars for mega-rich celebrates!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts