Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just installing a new Aluminum Radiator in my 72 Chevelle
(454 - 600 hp) and wanted to add a Overflow tank to the system.

I see that most/some overflow tanks can be installed as a "Overflow Tank" or configured to work as a "Recirculating Tank".

My understanding is an "Overflow Tank" will just give the coolant a place to go when it heats up and then allows the system to suck the coolant back in as it cools.

Is the only purpose of the "Recirculating Tank" to allow trapped air to escape?

I am trying to determine which configuration is best and I am not sure I fully know the pros/cons of each.

I appreciate any input any of you may have.

Thanks,

Roger

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
you want a recirculating tank. this way, the fluid that gets puked into the can as the coolant expands will get sucked back in when the coolant contracts. this leaves absolutely no air in the cooling system.
this is one area where it's best to trust the judgement of the engineers that designed your car- just use the factory overflow tank, and all will be good.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I am just installing a new Aluminum Radiator in my 72 Chevelle
(454 - 600 hp) and wanted to add a Overflow tank to the system.

I see that most/some overflow tanks can be installed as a "Overflow Tank" or configured to work as a "Recirculating Tank".

My understanding is an "Overflow Tank" will just give the coolant a place to go when it heats up and then allows the system to suck the coolant back in as it cools.

Is the only purpose of the "Recirculating Tank" to allow trapped air to escape?

I am trying to determine which configuration is best and I am not sure I fully know the pros/cons of each.

I appreciate any input any of you may have.

Thanks,

Roger
Over flow tank .. or lets call it a puke tank .. serves only one purpose as a catch can ... this is called a open system .
2nd option as you refer to it , is a recirculation tank .. mostly found on today's cars from the factory ... I.E closed system

This ensures a full radiator all the time I.E no air for expansion before it pukes to the over flow... unlike the early cars Like yours that had with a fill cold line stamped into the passenger tank to allow air to compress .
Now
If you want to run a closed system and theres nothing wrong with this , you must make sure of two things ....one ..the the overflow tube will pull coolant from the bottom of the tank or catcch can ...and you must use a 2 way pressure cap that allows fluid to draw back from the tank to the radiator .... this can be seen as theres a brass plate or ring that you can move up and down with your fingernail on the underside of the cap .. spring loaded .. alowing fluid to flow back to the radiator ... note the overflow hose and nipple must not suck air anywhere along this path .

Don

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I know this is an old thread....but its relevent to what Im about to ask, so I figured better to reply than start a new one.

Does anybody know specifically what radiator caps work for a recirculating system? Im going to be setting up a recirculating tank, and if I order from summit for example.....there is no easy way for me to inspect the cap to see if it looks like its going to work.

Will any new aftermarket cap serve the purpose, or is this a specialized cap?

Not really sure how to verify if Im getting what I need if I do it mail order.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have an expansion tank on my street stock and I just use a 28lb cap. The system works great. Not sure if you have a radiator with a cap but I have one that has no cap, so I only have 1 cap on my tank, on my intake I have a valve to bleed the air out of the system. I have my tanks top line connected to my radiator and the bottom hose connected to my water pump.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
I know this is an old thread....but its relevent to what Im about to ask, so I figured better to reply than start a new one.

Does anybody know specifically what radiator caps work for a recirculating system? Im going to be setting up a recirculating tank, and if I order from summit for example.....there is no easy way for me to inspect the cap to see if it looks like its going to work.

Will any new aftermarket cap serve the purpose, or is this a specialized cap?

Not really sure how to verify if Im getting what I need if I do it mail order.

Thanks folks!
just get a cap for whatever pressure rating you want for an early 70's or newer car or truck. they are mostly universal, with only a few exceptions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts